1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

World's fastest guitar player.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FarkusSWR, Jan 11, 2012.

1. FarkusSWR

FarkusSWR Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Guinness names fastest guitar player in the world - WTOP.com

If this has been posted already I apologize....just wanted to share.
    Kind of strange because it is a fantastic display of technique, but the faster he goes it loses all semblance of a musical piece that has any soul or flow, for lack of a better descriptor.

And where do you find a metronome that goes to 600 BPM, anyway?

2. The metronome doesn't need to go 600 BPM, because he's playing 64th notes (or shorter) over a quarter note tempo.

It becomes an incomprehensible blur. I preferred it at its original tempo of 170 BPM.

But he's damn fast, that's for sure, for whatever it's worth (Guiness entry).

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    The distortion did do a number on the note definition and there isn't much room for subtlety at those speeds. Still cool though. Only cool though.

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Also known as "world's least employed guitarist".

5. I'll give him props for the hours of practice it took to do that, however, one thing I learned years ago:
    "That's not music, that's just notes."

(Not that my opinion means much to GWR or Mr. Taylor.)

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    It's not supposed to be musical. It's a show of technical ability.

That song, even when played at normal speed, sounds like an unmusical mess anyway.

7. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    like a hummingbird on crack

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Anyone else lol at the guy at the end who said, "I'll sign it?" :D

9. I heard "I'll buy it" LOL

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    um...it sounds like crap.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    [​IMG]

12. This has got to be the funniest thing I've heard yet on TB! I was laughing all the way through it! I would loved to have given him an acoustic and ask him to play something slow!

Seriously, this has a bit of the idiot savant about it. Practicing one song for hours at a time from the time he was 13 until now? After a while it sounded like an incomprehensible blur of notes, and you can't even tell if there's even a song in there.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Music related (even tangentially) posts belong in Miscellaneous.

Moved.

14. I think it's great that he decided he wanted to reach this goal when he was 13 and followed through with it. Good for him.

15. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    Kinda funny the article mentions Jimmy Page and other famous guitar players that aren't exactly shredders (cept VH I guess).

16. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I'm with Waffles on this one. The guy set a goal and reached it.
    Good for him.

17. "Flight Of The Bumblebee" is a shredder standard, and one by which shredders sometimes judge each other. I think all my favorite speed demons like Gilbert, Vai, Bettencourt, Andy Timmons, most of them have either recorded it or whipped it out on stage.

Most put a little more imagination and musicality into it though.

18. Zabbo1978

Zabbo1978

Aug 9, 2011
    Maryland
    At least it got shorter each time he played it. ;)

19. I agree it was uninspired and unoriginal, however...

When I was 13 I was playing basketball, dreaming of being a shooting guard for the Celtics. I no longer play basketball. When he was 13 this guy was playing Flight of the Bumblebee, dreaming of being the fastest guitarist in the world, and kept playing it for an hour every day for 15 years. Pretty impressive IMO. Would I want to listen to it again? No way. But I have to commend him for having the dedication to stick with it after all these years. Being a music teacher, he had to have questioned himself on many occasions as I'm sure he had better uses for his time. But he stuck to his guns and reached his goal.

On behalf of Bud Light we salute you, fastest Flight of the Bumblebee guy. Without you, we would never have known the limitations of a YouTube video. :)

20. +1, he achieved something, whether we understand and appreciate it or not.