1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Worlds First Drum Machine in Pedal Form!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    This will be absolutely perfect! I personally can't wait for this one to come out.

Beat Buddy - http://mybeatbuddy.com/

From their site...

The Beat Buddy plugs right in with your other pedals to play a drum beat through your amp. No mixer required!

Hands free functionality: Add fills, transition from verse to chorus, add 'one off' accent hits (such as cymbal crashes or hand claps) - all with a press of a pedal!

Pre-loaded with 8 unique drum sets, and up to 1000 songs (verse/chorus beat progressions) in each of 8 musical styles!

Adjust tempo with a turn of the knob, or with a tap of a button

Connects with standard mini USB cable.

Beautiful strong construction made from anodized aluminum. Built to last and withstand tough live performance environments.

Completely customizable with included computer interface software.

Load your own beats and drum sets! Share them with your friends.

New beats and drum sets to be available for download on regular basis.
    ======

2. Didn't ehx have something similar in the 70s?

3. That's pretty cool.

All my recording of late has been with a drum machine and I am starting to hate how little character there is in a programmed beat, but this looks like a super cool tool.

4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Not sure, but I doubt it was as close to a complete package as this one is.

5. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    It only goes to 200bpm?

6. DavidPackouz

DavidPackouz Creator of BeatBuddy

Apr 9, 2013
    Miami Beach
    Hi guys, I'm David Packouz, the inventor of the BeatBuddy -- thanks for your interest!

There was something called Sound Master Rhthym 1 (see pic) -- it had a total of 8 very bad sounding beats (think pong computer beeps), only an output jack, no fills, no rhythm changes, no accent hits, no tap tempo, and of course no computer interface.

The BeatBuddy is the way I always wanted a drum machine to work - as a guitarist. But I'd love to hear everyone's comments/suggestions.

Thanks again for the feedback!

20130411_231650.

7. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Haha. That EHX pedal sounds awesome in the most impracticably horrible ways.

Your pedal sounds much more usable. Excited to see it hit the market, sounds like an excellent practice tool. Something that would be super fun to add with a looper for writing.

8. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I am on the list! I was just thinking about getting another drum machine for the times I just don't want to sit at the computer. This thing looks kick @$$!

9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

What a cool thing for practice and small gigs! Well Done!

10. DavidPackouz

Apr 9, 2013
    Miami Beach
    It can go higher -- by tap tempo. We're looking into the possibility of adding midi sync.

Most songs don't go past the 200bpm tempo mark, hence the range of the knob.

11. DavidPackouz

Apr 9, 2013
    Miami Beach

Thanks for spreading the word, AJ!

12. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    kinda interested. subscribed for future news, reviews, and demos.

13. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    I just checked the site quickly..is there a release date?
    Or a price..?

thanks all.

OK.. I went and actually read the site..kinda got the answers (as close as possible) as I can.
    ;)
    Still ..kinda interested..

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I wants. This is the exact thing I'd ever want in a beat box. It's perfect size too.

15. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    MIDI would sell it for me- I need something like this to use with solo looping with my Boomerang III, but a drum machine without MIDI out is a no-go for looping!

16. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Oct 10, 2008
    London
    I can't watch the video... but I'm interested.

I hope this is more than just a "practice" pedal... hope it could be something really useful!

17. I checked their Facebook, around $300 retail and 170-200$ for the Kickstarter.

18. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I'm in - this is exactly the kind of tool I'm looking for....

19. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Now if they can just make it take up way too much room and drink all the beer I won't need a drummer. The only flaw I can see is that it doesn't speed up or slow down for no good reason.

20. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    +1. I'm about to do some demos and I don't own any drums, and drum machines seem too complicated. This is really really cool.