1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Worried about my bass (temperature swings)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sourtulip, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Sourtulip

Sourtulip

Jun 30, 2012
    Hey, my fellow low frequency freakouts!

I just moved to a new apartment, on the top floor, with some huge windows (gotta love that sunlight) but there may be a problem.

At night its about 15 celcious (59 Fahrenheit) but through the day, if the sun is shining, the temperature rises to about 28 celcious (82-83 Fahrenheit).

Can this be a problem for my beloved instruments? Of course this dosent happed in a second but gradually over several hours but still, should I be worried?

And if not, what is too big a temperature swing?

Thanks in advance all, your help is appreciated!

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    keep an eye on the necks, they may move a bit. other than that, i dont think it should be too big of an issue. i was in the same situation and never had any issues with my basses. several hours is ok for that amount of temp change, several minutes isnt, that would potentially cause checking in the finish.

3. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    The only bass I own that seems to exhibit changes due to weather/temp/moisture fluctuations is my Hofner Club. Sometimes I'll get a buzzy fret or a bit of neck bow, but nothing permanent or serious. I can either tweak the truss rod right away or just wait for the wood to settle on its own, depending on the situation.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I would worry. That is a big temperature change to put your basses thru day in and day out. Add humidity changes to the mix, you are going to very likely have at least neck issues eventually.

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    What kind of bass?

I have a 1978 Precision in a part of the world where climates range from well below freezing to near tropical heat and it has never had any problems. The temp and humidity shifts have taken their toll on the finish over time, but the neck and intonation have always been rock solid. Of course it also helps I keep it in a liberally padded, hardshell case practically every minute it's not actually being played.

6. Sourtulip

Sourtulip

Jun 30, 2012
    Fender Jazz bass 2010 (mex)
    Fender Kingman acoustic/electric
    Gibson Thunderbird IV
    Morch 4 string (the one im really worried about, its my one and all)

7. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    I think that inside the house, won't affect it so much.
    I live in a city where by morning is 15ºC, 27ºC by 12:00 and 5ºC after 20:00, and my bass is fine. The only problem I've found is that the G string gets a bit out of tune sometimes.

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I wouldnt worry about the Jazz Bass or the TBird much.

The electric/acoustic is most at risk in those situations.

9. Sourtulip

Sourtulip

Jun 30, 2012
    Sounds reassuring, but do you have any idea about the temperature swings inside your flat? :)

10. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    Solid body instruments won't be effected that much, but acoustics and semi hollows could be problematic. I would at least keep them in their cases when not in use and away from those windows/direct sunlight etc.

11. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Well, I can't tell for sure... we are always away during the day (I leave very early in the morning and come back 20:00, sometimes even later), and we leave our windows open when we're not home, so the temperature is very close to the one outside.

12. I would either climate control your house (humidity levels as well) or a specific room, rather than the whole house.

Then you don't have to worry

13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    no worries, IMO.

14. jazzgalore

jazzgalore

Jan 1, 2013
    I've seen the finish baked off guitars - like the SG that was stored in an unventilated attic for 15 years with temps hitting over 110 F in the summer and well below freezing in the winter - year after year - not the speak of the humidity variatons. The wood did fine. The finish cracked and the thing had to be redone. A friend plays it today and it may even sound better for all that torture. And, for lots of my gigs - my bass is unloaded in a frozen state. Let it get warm before tuning. : ) Never a problem.

15. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Humidity is more a factor than temperature changes. If you are in a very humid climate, keeping your basses in a case with some dessicants (Dri-box are rechargeable. https://www.sorbentsystems.com/desiccants_dri-box_appl.html)
    and in a dry zone a humidifier would make a difference.

Wood basses like to be in relative humidity of between 45 and 55%.

I'm not discounting possible effects of temperature. But, if you can control the humidity you should have little to no issues.

16. Sourtulip

Sourtulip

Jun 30, 2012
    Any ideas on how to do this without it costing me a lot of money? :)

17. Sourtulip

Sourtulip

Jun 30, 2012

I live in Denmark, scandinavia - yes, the little piece of **** above Germany.

I would say its pretty dry here most of the year but I have no idea on the actually humidity in my apartment - I will buy one of those humidity meters and find out though. If its too dry then I will make one of those small boxes with a bath sponge inside and put it in the flightcase :)

18. Sourtulip

Sourtulip

Jun 30, 2012
    All this talk about temperature/humidity swings made me tjeck my bass througly for any signs and unfortunatly I actually found something.

Its some very small cracks between the fretboard and the "outer frame". Dont know if it was like that then I purchased it or if it has happed while under my wings as I just saw it now after tjecking for stuff like that - never noticed it before.

Is this due to temperature/humidity swings? Will it get worse than this? What could come from this? (worst case scenario)

IMG_1531.

19. What kind of climate do you live in? (humidity wise)

As stated above...humidity effects the wood more than temp does

Don't know why there is a thumbs down thing at the top of my quote box...didn't put it there

20. Sourtulip

Sourtulip

Jun 30, 2012

I live in Denmark. I dont know how to explain what climate we have here but these guys sure do: http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/climate/Denmark.htm

Wierd thing with the thumps down....maybe its just "one of those days" ;)