Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst Injury Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass-shy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I just dragged my mountain bike out of the basement to prepare it for a season of trail riding. Seeing it again after five months brought back memories of the last time I rode it. I left my house feeling good that day, but by the time I got back home, I had a bruised kidney and a shattered face. I'm not trying to encourage a forum for displaying nasty wound pictures or anything, I'm just curious to know how many others have lived to tell about the times when they got seriously messed up, one way or another. Any takers?

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My right arm was almost severd from my body 11 years ago, if i could ever locate a digital camera i will get pics of my scar up. :)

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    If you don't mind my asking, how did that happen?

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I am a life.. means worst hasnt happen yet...

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My arm went through a glass window.

6. I've been pretty lucky with visible injuries, but I partially tore the MCL in my right knee during a run when I was 18. Bad timing, as it kept me out of States, but I could have torn it completely and required surgery. As it stands, I don't expect to ever have it operated on and repaired.

7. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I drowned in the pacific ocean near bodega bay. 15 minutes under cold water and my mom found me in the surf pulseless/apnic and started CRP. 2 cycles in I came back. Does that count?

8. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I play competitive indoor soccer, I mountain bike, and run, so I've had more than my share of injuries - from concussions to broken bones. Right now I'm just about healed from a pretty severely torn calf muscle I got in a game last September. The only upside to the injury was that two days later I took my family on a vacation to Disney World. Because of the cruches and wheelchair, my kids used me as "Easy Pass" to get to the front of all the ride lines!

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Not a real injury, but almost smashing my head into the concrete when I was pole vaulting...scared the crap outta my friend/coach.

Fun stuff...

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    While playing basketball in high school, I lunged for a loose ball on the baseline. My lower leg stopped moving when I put my foot down, but my kneecap kept going. I ripped every ligament in my knee, tore a bunch of cartilage, and the tendon holding the kneecap in place snapped, and my kneecap disappeared up under my thigh muscle. I tried to walk it off, but I couldn't.

-Mike

11. My cat scratched me today. It's still kind of bloody.

12. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I exploded my ACL, MCL, and meniscus, and got compression fractures of the tibia and femur snowboarding this december. Fun times. Only one more surgery to go, then I can rehab for 9 months. :scowl:

13. Had a detached retina playing racquetball after the ball hit my head on the side. I saw particles floating around in my eye and kept trying to wash them out. Turned out it was blood in the eyeball! Spent a week in the hospital after eye surgery and ended up with a silicon band around my eyeball (still have it). Took about 3 months for the pain to go away and stitches removed from my eyeball.

Used to road race in SCCA showroom stock and rolled my car (rolled twice) at about 80mph. Walked out of that one shook up and bruised but ok otherwise.

14. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    I slamed my chest into the handle bars of my bike and fractured my sternum. About the space between the two points }{ more and i would have needed all of the pins and maybe a plate in my chest.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fractured my pelvis last year snowboarding.

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I almost cut off my left, big toe with an axe about 5 years ago.

Never split wood in sandals. :D

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Motorcycle accident in 1969. T-boned the pickup truck of a drunken sailor who ran a stop sign at about 50 mph. Open fracture of right femur (my foot was lying next to my head), severed patellar tendon, excised right medial meniscus, internal injuries, abrasions, contusions and lacerations all over my body. I lost almost half my blood on the street. The fracture was reduced with an 18X40mm Schneider nail (I still have it, but not in my leg). I spent 5 months in Balboa Navy Hospital, plus another month when they removed the steel a year later.

I was 19 then. Something like that'd probably kill me now. LOL.

18. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    A month after I turned 16, I was in a car accident involving ice. Split my left femur and right knee cap right in half. Ouch!

19. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    sounds pretty serious, are you ok?

20. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Holy floating patellas and detached retinas with pelvis and sternum fractures, Batman.