1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Worthwhile upgrade to acoustic b20

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bafonso, Feb 5, 2017.

1. bafonso

bafonso

Oct 17, 2007
    hey, I have the b20 which I find just ok. I'm playing a mij fretless jazz bass and I've always felt that the amp doesn't deliver authority or a nice defined sound. And now it's rattling a bit.

I've been wondering if the rumble 40 or ampeg 110 are a worthwhile upgrade or one needs to get into pricier stuff. This is simply for playing at home and some jams with friends so no real need for watts, just quality...

The bass sounds quite nice through a good di and monitors, so the qualities I'm looking for are present in the bass, I just can't hear them through the b20. I'm also open to used amps, love me some second hand gear.

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    It would be harder to DOWNGRADE, honestly.

deathness and Jeff Scott like this.
  3. Agreed!

4. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    You should try them both, and others. Your current amp isn't doing you any favors tonally, so you should get out to the music shops and have a run at anything and everything.

5. If you're looking for tone that approaches what you hear from DI feed and good quality monitors, it's going to take more than the Rumble 40 or Ampeg BA110. To really appreciate that fretless jazz you're going to need a decent cab and head. Examples include the GK MB200, Ampeg PF350 or Fender Rumble 200 heads, and cabs like the Eden EX110 and EX112, Fender Rumble 112 or 115, or GK CX210 or CX115. These are relatively inexpensive, and commonly available used (classifieds on TB, Craigs List, Guitar Center, etc). They are all compact and light weight, but louder and with a more refined tone than most combo's.

bafonso likes this.
  6. bafonso

bafonso

Oct 17, 2007
    OK I guess I will need to look into a head and a cab. Tempted by the GK mb200 and little mark 250. I'll keep an eye on classifieds, cheers guys

AstroSonic likes this.
  7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    If your not looking for a loud rig to go over a drum kit and want more clarity out of a practice amp then yes a 60 watt or 100watt amp with a 1x12 or 1x15 will defiantly help. And likewise a 100watt or 200watt 1x15 combo could work well at moderate levels with a drummer

But likewise getting a separate head allows expansion in the future. A head and single 1x12 or 1x15 is essentially the same as a combo. But you could add another matching 1x12 or 1x15 and have a very healthy rig and having a separate head makes this easier to do.

Used market is always good to check as well

8. bafonso

bafonso

Oct 17, 2007
    I just checked out today at a GC some amps. I totally see now how people say Markbass sounds different than ampeg - I tried the BA112 (115 was broken). Definitely the ampeg is already giving you grungy sound w/o any pedals, the mark bass are just super clean amps.

I feel in love the CMD 121P, so small and portable... put the right pedal in front it of it and you'll get the best of both worlds. I see quite a few 250 blacklines but no mark bass cabs locally. I think I may just wait until a local 121p shows up and be done w/ it. Or maybe a 121H as I hear people don't like 121P's tweeter. I wasn't able to look into that today.

9. If you go that route, consider getting the 121H. For a little more money (than the P) you get a dynamic tweeter (much smoother) and a cab volume suitable for a high efficiency 12 inch driver and good mid to low bass. The 'P' manages quite well for what it is, but the small cab volume is a significant compromise if you want more than just nice upper bass. Also, money wise, you are in separates territory, especially used.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  10. bafonso

bafonso

Oct 17, 2007
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to thank everyone's help. In the end I got a 121H and couldn't be happier. I can now hear so many nuances that I never did before.. also so much control regarding levels, it's really nice.

Now if there is something out there to get closer to a ba15 the form of a pedal, I'd be in heaven :)