1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would a Traynor YBA200 be enough for my band?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Here is the line up-Semi undercontrol guitarist with a Marshall 100 watt half stack, fairly agressive drummer (big sticks) and me. I currently use a Yamaha BBT500H pushing an 8ohm Ernie Ball HD-210 and a 4ohm Avatar Delta 212. I am interested in the Traynor but not sure it will be loud enough. Thanks for your help.

2. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    It will probably be enough, but not much headroom.

3. i think it'll be more than enough 4 kt88s put out ALOT of volume

4. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    I vote no. My old trio had a semi 'under control' guitarist playing through a Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. and a moderate volume drummer. I used my brand new YBA200 with various 4 ohm cabs. This amp did not cut it, period. Owned it for about four months. The other guys in the band asked me to stop bringing it to rehearsals. It never made it to a gig. I gave up and sold it. Spend your hard earned dollars elsewhere. You asked. :)

M. M.

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    No--thanks, that's good information!

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Depends on the band. We don't know how it will work.

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Which 4 ohm cabs in particular?

8. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Aguilar GS 212, Epifani UL-210, Epifani UL-410 (cabs I own), and Ampeg SVT-410HLF (owned by a friend). They all cut the mustard with my humble Eden WT-400. IME, of course. ;)

M. M.

9. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    in my experience, the yba needs a big cab to really push. even a 4x10 would probably be in the minimum of what this amp wants to do. mine was as loud as i ever needed it to be with a loud drummer and two ac30's cranked. i miss that amp

10. stevellss

stevellss

Aug 13, 2008
    I use one with an ampeg 8X10 and it is loud enough with 2 guitarists and a loud drummer, in large rooms it needs to be cranked but it has done the job for me so far. If you want to really push a lot of really low end frequencies through, it might not be the amp for you.

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +1 with the following caveat: I've never played through a YBA200/200-2.

However, the Traynor tube bass amps of my youth that I did jam & gig with: the YBA-1 (w/6X10"), YBA-1A (w/6X10"), and the Custom Special (w/8X10") were all barkers more than boomers.

But that's what makes T' a good rig for rock bass.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Only you can decide if it's loud enough. I used to play metal in bars with a V4b/810 (100w) and never ran out of clean volume. But you might if you're really loud. 200w is usually plenty for most people doing the average-sized rock venue. Some people think it isn't, but they're usually deaf ;)

13. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Eden WT-400 MSRP $1249.90 USD

Power 8Ω/4Ω * 235/400W RMS
    Power Mono Bridge * N/A
    Distortion * <.1%
    Frequency Response * 10Hz - 15KHz ±2dB
    Headroom * 3db
    Dimensions * 12"W x 3.5"H x 12"D
    Weight * 13 LBS

--------

Traynor YBA200-2 (from the manual) MSRP $999 USD

Type * All Tube Bass Head
    Power @ min. impedance (Watts) * 200 @ 4/8 ohms switchable
    Minimum Impedance (Ohms) * 2
    Burst Power - 2 cycle * 250 Watts
    Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB) * 30 - 16,000
    Hum and Noise (dB) * -90db
    Input Channels * 1
    Channel 1 - inputs * 2 x 1/4inch
    Channel 1 - controls * Gain
    Master Volume Control * Yes
    Main Tone Controls * Treble, Mid, Range, Bass, Scoop, Resonance
    Input Sensitivity (mV) * 20
    Master Outputs * Pre-amp out (Pre Master)
    Line Out (type / configuration) * XLR Balanced (Pre/Post, Grnd Lift)
    Line Out Sensitivity (Vrms) * 1V (100mV when -20db Pad engaged)
    Effects Loop / Location * Pre-amp out, Power Amp in, Loop Thru
    Effects Return Sensitivity (Vrms) * 1V
    LED Indicators * Tuner Mute, Power/Standby
    External speaker output / location * 2 x 1/4inch (Rear)
    Impedance Selector (4/8 ohms)
    Other Features * Tubes: 2x12AX7, 1x12AU7, 4xKT88
    Tuner output 1/4inch
    Dimensions (DWH, inches) * 11.5 x 22.5 x 9.5
    Dimensions (DWH, cm) * 29 x 57 x 24
    Weight (lbs / kg) - 44 / 20

14. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    :eek:

15. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    I've used mine with an Ampeg 610 or a Fender 215 with excellent results. My Schroeder 21012L absolutely barks with it.The midrange of that cabinet matches up nicely with the Traynor. I've always found the Traynor to be bass heavy IMO,I usually have the bass rooled back to 5 or less. What type of music are you doing? DO you DI to the PA? If you do then it would be more than enough for the job.

16. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I was also going to suggest minimum cabbage would be a 6x10, 2x15, 8x8 or 8x10.

And yes, it's a barker more than a boomer.

Have you tried the XS/DB800?

17. +1 on the big cabs. mine sounded decent through a 410, but once i added my 18 to that, it cranked, and sounded good. i've also played it through an ampeg 610 and 810, both of which really work well with it. it's plenty loud. but, if you do crank it a whole lot, you'll get some breakup, but it still sounds fantastic, if that's what you're going for.

i personally wish i had a band right now that i could actually PUSH it, because i love the way it sounds when it's cranked. and it cuts through the mix really well.

not only that, but if your guitar player is playing so loud that you can't hear the bass through a 200 watt all tube head, he's playing too loud, and you probably can't even hear the drummer, anyway.

18. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    Sounds like a with a big cab you'd be ok.

but If you haven't bought it yet, I'd try some other heads out first, I've played through the yba200, and it just wasn't for me.

19. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    +1 on the big cab. Since I acquired my 2x15, I've actually had to turn it down at shows and practices vs my old setup of 4x10

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, I said it...you're all too GD loud anyway ;)