Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

would it be stupid to...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clanner, May 26, 2005.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    try and modify an epiphone goth t-bird to be a six string bass?

just wondering because I'm oncredibly tired and want a six.

2. yes.......yesh it would

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Way too much work, and high a probability of irreparably damaging a good bass.

Go buy a Brice 6'er for about the same amount of money you'd have spent destroying the Epiphone.

http://www.rondomusic.net

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Uh, what was the question, and can you use it in a sentence?

5. he's asking if its thesable to modify an Epiphone Goth Thunderbird guitar or bass i dunno into a 6 string bass

finger spacing would be way to tight and i doubt the fingerboard would be wide enough

man, just go the brice, or search ebay...never know, ebay might have an awesome find

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Terrible idea. You can get a starter sixer for $250. No need to ruin a decent bass.

7. feasible, maybe?

8. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Dude, is your picture giving us the finger?

9. i couldnt be bothered spelling big words right now :p

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I really doubt that the neck on that Epiphone could handle the extra tension of six strings.

11. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    very...very stupid

12. I think you should try to do it! Please post pictures of the end result! :D

13. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I was actually planning on widening the neck joint and putting in/ making a new neck. putting an a new bridge, and wider pups. keep it passive. i was never going to use a stock neck, and it was going to be a 5 at 1st but gibson sorta messed that mod up for me.

14. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    clanner if you could pull this off you would be luthier of the year!

15. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    not sure since I'm only sixteen, but I have been trying to find a way to leran luthiery for a while, wish I could find a master to study and train under.

but i'll try it once I get some cash,(and a bongo).

this could take a while so if I find a way to pull this off I will post pics, (even concept pics)

16. i still say dont bother.......unless you have all the right tools and the knowleage.......might be cheaper just to buy a 6er

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Clanner, at age sixteen, it's a hell of a feat, let alone an experienced luthier with years and tons of basses under his belt. It's a long shot. A lot of people want to try lutherie, but withdraw the idea when they realize it's a difficult, demanding job without great pay. It's a choice you make.

Also, as far as the bass, two more strings create lots of tension, not to mention the string spacing would be rediculously tight. Thunderbirds already have fairly narrow necks, five might be doable, six is just plain nuts IMO.

18. okay here's the way I see it............... If you are going to go to all that trouble, and have the skills to modify the neck pocket and fit a new neck, and rout bigger PU cavties etc...

It sorta makes more sense to buy a six string neck, and make a T-Bird body specifically for the sixer neck and PUs. Especially if you already have a T-Bird, since you'd already have the template for the body.

I'm no Luthier, but have been doing woodworking for about 30 years, and that's the way I'd do it (whatever that's worth :D )

A six string Thunderbird might be a pretty cool deal :cool:

...............Jim

19. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    ok, that sounds like a better idea than mangling a bass, (tho I don't own a t-bird yet) Iknow the dimensions for the bass, and the math shouldn't be too hard. i was goung to order a neck, and try increasing the size of the body, but making one sounds better. off to the luthiers forum.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I might have to steal this...