would they?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gram, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Gram

Gram Guest

Jul 15, 2004
    Ive just found out that my brother who is 15, has been takeing caffiene pills in mornin to wake him up instead of coffee, my parents dont care as they consider it coffee or any drink like coke to wake u up in the morning but I was wondering, is it legal for stores to sell caffiene pills to kids, i live in B.C canada.
  2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I wouldn't say its illegal but I think it's more based on the judgment of the retailer. Though I don't live in Canada and know the laws for there. I'd have him stop. If you do something everyday it CAN become an addictive habit.
  3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA

If it is legal to be sold or not, have him stop taking the pills and get more sleep.
  4. yes...including drinking a cup of coffee every day...

but i digress...

well, i saw this one episode or "saved by the Bell" and one of the girls got addicted to caffeine pills, and i found out from watching that show that those pills are highly addictive!

but seriously, he's 15, he shouldn't have problems waking up. i hate to say it, but your brother really should be going to bed earlier if he is having problems with waking up. the way i see it (and this has happened for me with a perscription drug a few years back), if your brother needs 15 mg of caffeine at 15, his body will continue to grow a tolerance...he will keep needing more and more caffeine to wake up...sounds dangerous to me...i could be wrong though, i don't know how caffeine interacts with the body.

as for if it's legal, i don't see why it's not...like dannyboy15 said, it's probably up the the retailer...
  5. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    True, teenagers require at least 9 hours of sleep a night, alot more than adults. Tell him to get to bed earlier.

6. Thats what popped in my head when I saw this thread...man that show brings me back :D

But back to the subject, yeah, might want to tell him to stop.
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    My senior year of high school saw me begin to take caffeine pills so that I could get everything done. It was my effort to create more hours in the day so that I could do school, work, my band, and my girlfriend at the time and not drop any of the balls i was trying to juggle.

I recommend against doing this. I remember being about two clicks shy of having a nervous breakdown the whole time I was taking them, and it was a pretty miserable time all-round.

Suggest your brother learn to manage his time better, and stop screwing off so much so he can just get in bed earlier. It's a healthier and much more easily dealt with way of going about things.
  8. but seriously...time management is key!
  9. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    Caffeine stunts your growth... so I'm guessing caffeine pills would too. And at the age of 15.... I'd think it's bad.
  10. Gram

Gram Guest

Jul 15, 2004
    Well I thought I would tell u, he did stop takeing them, I didnt even ask him too, he just stopped with explenation. But its buggin me now cuz i wanna kno if its illigal, my freind and me have a bet, Im thinkin its not cuz it would be like buyin extra-strong coffee
  11. no its not illegal

if caffeine pills can be sold at your local drug store, if you could sell illegal drugs at a convenience store, you'd get cocaine instead of caffeine pills...
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I wonder how that feels...

I just read it and now I wanna try it!
  14. James Hart

James Hart