Would this 3010MB driver be any good for amplified DB?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jaygetsreal, Jan 1, 2022.

1. I have a couple of 'pro' neo midbass drivers (Eminence Kappalite 3010MB) knocking around. Eminence seems to have stopped making them. But they seem to be good in the 100-1000hz range and can be built into a ridiculously small enclosures.

So I'm thinking they might make good DIY Doubleshot project? Any experience with this particular driver?

IMG_2153.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.55.24 am.png

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Seems intended more as a midrange. Probably best with a different driver to cover the low range.

If you don't already have it, the cab design doc can be found here: Eminence Designer (datasheets.pl)

There are two designs in the doc with F3 down in the low-mid 80hz range.

Jaygetsreal likes this.
  3. Matthijs

Matthijs Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    I modelled them some time ago to see if they’d work for DB and dropped the idea. I can’t find the model anymore and the specs are not in the eminence site anymore so I’m not entirely sure. I remember with a small enclosure and a lot of port I could get the kind of low end out of them I like for DB. That is: not that much bass and a slow descending curve from about 100 hz down. Not enough for EB, think vintage GK 200mb. For my taste (and I think for most people) these speakers also need an extra mid.

So the short answer is: yes it is possible. It is not the most logical speaker to use for a small DB cab. If I already owned them I’d give it a try.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works

Attached Files:

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In both of the designs shown, "Fb" is the port tuning frequency, 90 and 80 Hz respectively. Since the lowest E is about 41 Hz, these designs would both run into performance issues if not outright driver damage if used with upright bass. When you operate a speaker below its port tuning, the excursion of the cone goes through the roof, and it becomes very easy to push the speaker beyond its mechanical limits, not to mention, response is dropping at 24 dB/octave.

These drivers seem OK as a midbass in a PA system, but unfortunately not for stand-alone bass use.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022