Would this be a good rig for the price?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by capnjim, Oct 13, 2011.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    So its time for my annual rig purge.
    Actually, I love my Traynor Custom special, but it needs tubes and capacitors and is acting up. I'll get around to it, but for now I want something more "modern" sounding. I found what appears to be a pretty good deal.

For 700$ I get a Genz Benz GBE-600 with both footswitches, and an SWR 12 pack, 2x12 combo. The seller paid over 1700$ when he bought them new.
    Will this be a good rig? Loud enough with just the 2x12 for a moderately loud rock band? We play improvisational classic rock (I just made that up, but its pretty much what we do!)

Its local, I don't want to get into shipping, but is this a decent deal/rig? Or should I save my pennies and get something else.

I use my Traynor thru a new Fender 2x15 cab so I might just get the GB head for 400$.
    Thanks

2. HugeInJapan

HugeInJapan

May 25, 2011
    Dunno about the price... but a 2 12 didn't cut it for me in a loud band. I'd say get the amp and stick with your 2 15.

3. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Personally, I think the Traynor/Fender rig is infinitely better (but then again I'm not a fan of SWR cabinets), but if you play through it and prefer it that's a fantastic price. I love the Genz Benz GBE series but I would think that it would really pop out in a classic rock setting. Of course, there's no "standard" for playing any genre, so if you want to stand out in the mix more I would consider the Genz Benz or a nicer Eden head.

4. Mee too, get that thing tuned up if you're concerned, it's one of the most reliable tube heads ever built, I just picked up a 1970 YBA 1A with the original tubes in it. The way these are built, I think the tubes are outlasting the caps, needs a cap job.

Also a best sounding head to me, and very underated in the world of amps.

5. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Yeah..I do love my Traynor. I suppose I would be better off just spending the money on caps and tubes. I think 2 of the power tubes are original, the other 2 are really old looking Sovteks. This is my second custom special so I know that the sound is deteriorating. It should be a lot cleaner, but its really overdriving which os not too bad, but sometimes I want a cleaner sound. I like the idea of the footswitch on the GBE so I can get a few different sounds.

6. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Good price. Better than the Traynor? Not for what I do, but good rig nonetheless.

7. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I never had a problem gigging an avatar 2x12 cab. Did it for years in a loud band. Just play it before you buy if you can.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021