1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you rather?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by p0werslav3, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Got the skillz

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Bringing in the bills $

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. p0werslav3

p0werslav3 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    My friends and I discuss these weird things at work and since this came up and it's about playing the bass, I thought I'd pass it along.

Would you rather:

1) Be a great studio bassist that is highly sought after
    2) An average bass player but in a mega-star band

2. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Not sure your poll, and your post match up...

a great studio player who is highly sort after probably makes more $ than a replacable bass player in a name band.

If the name band bass player is average he's probably not seeing much in the way of writing credits/royalties, and after the "management" have taken their cut he's probably making an OK wage.

If a GREAT session guy can do three or four sessions a day, and be home in time for dinner with the family that sounds like a much better deal than sleeping in a tour bus for months on end to promote a record which ultimatly you don't see any profit from.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think Ian has a point. I know of a few guys who tour with big name acts. They really don't make all that much money. A few hundred bucks a night and expenses is about it. I'm sure Will Lee (Late Night With David Letterman and session guy for everybody from Weather Report to Steely Dan) makes a lot more than that for a Taco Bell commercial. And he probably rarely leaves NYC. I'd say he has the better gig. But to stick to your topic, I've hit the road enough in my life. I would take the studio gig (skills included) if it paid the bills.