1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wren & Cuff "The Caprid"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JamesHommersen, Jan 22, 2012.

1. I saw this in my FB feed:
    Twitter

New Wren & Cuff soon, anyone got info on this?

2. First I heard of it: looks like a ram's head muff clone - looks sweet. It probably sounds even better.

still loving my Pickle Pie B

3. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Interesting discovery.

4. AgressivePassiv

AgressivePassiv

Feb 3, 2011
    Just got an email from pedalgeek listing the Caprid as coming soon. Anyone have any more info on it?

5. Damascus

Damascus

Aug 9, 2008
    Here's the DL from FatSounedGuitars
    (tl;dr: Ram's Head clone, comes out next week. And here i thought i was done with Muff clones....)

Wren and Cuff | Fat Sound

[Update 3-22-2012] After an agonizing wait by fans of Wren and Cuff's fantastic Big Muff recreations (and I'm the president of The Fan Club), Matt Holl's version of the 60's-era E-H "Ram's Head" will finally be shipping to us on April 2nd. We'll receive them 2-3 days later and have them turned around to our eagerly awaiting customers within 24 hours via Priority Mail for final delivery in an additional 2-3 days. So, anyone with a pre-paid reservation should realistically expect a The Caprid in their mailbox betwen April 9th and 10th.

We're nearly sold out so.......click Add to Cart now!

Stu Carter, Tone Consultant
    Fat Sound Guitars

Shipping To Fat Sound on April 2nd......Wren and Cuff's New - The Caprid - Legendary Distortion[Caprid] A goat-antelope or caprid is any of the species of mostly medium-sized bovids that make up the subfamily Caprinae (as treated here), part of the Bovidae family of ruminants. The domestic sheep and domestic goat are both part of the goat-antelope group by its widest definition, but some taxonomists[who?] prefer to use the term only for members of the Caprinae that are not members of the tribe Caprini (caprines). The term "goat-antelope" does not mean that these animals are true antelopes [ed - maybe more of a Ram?.....hmmm...]

-Wikipedia

The CapridA pains-taking recreation of the legendary EH "Ram's Head" Muff. Wren and Cuff took the best of four different versions of this circuit and combined them to create the Holy Grail of Ram's Head pedals. Matt Holl has even recreated the original "3003" copper circuit board traces. Wren and Cuff's The Caprid is a full-size recreation of a legendary pedal and is guaranteed to plaster a smile on the face of any fan of The Classic, icons of Fuzz!

Featuring•Full-Sized, Custom Enclosure - Matches The Dimensions of the Original
    •Carbon Comp, "Brown Tone" Resistors
    •Mullard "Tropical Fish" Metal Film Capacitors
    •NOS Daka-Ware Knobs - Very, Very Nice!
    - Amazing what a difference quality knobs can make to the overall experience....and Daka-Ware are our favorites!
    Modern Conveniences•True Hardwire Bypass Switching
    •9V AC Adapter Jack
    •On/Off LED Indicator
    Controls•Volume
    •Tone
    •Sustain
    Pre-Release ReservationsWith the first batch of The Caprid pedals shipping to dealers in just a couple of weeks.....April 1st to be exact.......we have changed our reservation option from a deposit to payment-in-full. When our pre-sold/reserved pedals arrive we want to be repacking, labeling and turning these guys around to our customers as quickly as possible......not chasing after money! Thanks!!

6. dubblesubzilla

dubblesubzilla

Dec 21, 2009
    super sick

I played the Caprid last night and I have to say that is one super amazing pedal!
    I am blown away. I like it more than the pickle pie but you can't really compare them (different animals). But If I had to choose one I think I would take the caprid with me to the desert island. I think it will sit really well in the right mix with drums and vocals and bass too. very full and thick-harmonics overload. And the tone knob is fierce. I'd love to have it hooked to a switched jack to use with an expression pedal. You can go from a "dimed" to a creamy thick soup to a honk to a screech and the sustain is for days. I need to do a video of it. I was playing it with a Minarik Goddess with their stock humbuckers through just the Caprid and then into a JCM900 clean into a JCM800 slant cab with greenbacks. I couldn't really slam the amp because it was late but I did put the pedal through it's paces. I was puching the input hard with it and it combined nicely with the marshal preamp. definitely not a one trick pony. especially with that sick tone control. it has a fairly sharp peak so you can really dial in a wide range of tones. sweet!

7. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Well so far what I find sick is the price.

I liked Wren and Cuff when they were in the $199 price range.
    Their Tall Font Russian is a fabulous pedal on bass and I like their Tri-Pie 70's reasonably well too. I thought at the time it was close to a EH Big Bass Muff in tone but that it had a little sublte edge over it.

Then came the Box of War for $225. Tried it and did not find it special at all particularly compared with some of the Stomp Under Foot Civil War.

Now the Caprid is $279. At that price point it better be a stunning pedal, a really stunning pedal. I took a big loss on a Box of War so you better believe that I'll will be very cautious this time.

Matt at Stump Under Foot has tweaked his Red Menace pedal to make it more bass friendly. I have one on order. I have a lot more faith that it will be something extraordinary than the Caprid, and at $110 less I already know it's a much better value.

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I love my pickle pie b and tall font russian... I dont need another big muff clone. Especially one thats full size. If I wanted to run a huge big muff id just use my green russian big muff.

9. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    My TFR +blend does what I need... very well!

10. Damascus

Damascus

Aug 9, 2008
    This pedal appeals to the part of me that would like to get sweet Animals-era David Gilmour tones, and i would love to hear about how the pedal performs with this in mind.

My TFR already covers my desire for doomy sludgy bass destruction. The Ram's head muff is kind of a holy grail IMO because of the classic Gilmour connection. Interested to hear how it performs on bass, but i don't expect it to be treading similar ground as the TFR since the green muffs are so distinctive.

11. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I have tried Stomp Under Foot Violet's Ram Head on bass. Many Muff expert think of this pedal as one of the very best clones of the Ram Head. It is indeed impressive on guitar. The purity of the tone and its airy character just floats above the mix like a voice coming from heaven.

On bass however it's not as effective as Stomp Under Foot Civil War. The Violet's Ram Head chops quite a bit of bass and end up delivering a stinging kind of buzzy tone.
    Some people might enjoy this if they want something aggressive and focused but it's not what I imagine most bass players want. The gentleman who makes these pedals recommends the Cvil War over the Violet's Ram Head for bass and it makes sense when you hear both pedals side by side.

12. I still have to try a Civil War for myself. Before I go spending $279 on another muff clone I need to see/hear a proper demo of The Caprid....certainly interested though.

13. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Sure, me too. That pedal would need to yield fuzz of biblical proportion for me to be motivated to buy it.

Could there be such thing as Muff fatigue? Nahhh....

14. chaosmic

chaosmic

Feb 6, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    LOL, Muff fatigue....I usually need about 2-3 hours before I recover from that if you know what I'm sayin'...

15. Damascus

Damascus

Aug 9, 2008
    Yeah, the Civil War Russian muff has almost the same exact circuit as the green Tall Font Russian muff. Quite literally a half a world away from the american-made Ram's Head.

Russian = bass. USA = guitar. That's been my usual creed and it has served me well. :)

16. Rawrrbass

Rawrrbass

Mar 19, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Just picked up "The Caprid" ... after not being all that impressed with the Wren and Cuff Box of War, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

I must say The Caprid so far has been a pleasant surprised me ... My biggest complaint about it so far is the size of the enclosure ... I'll try to get around to making some clips.

17. arthur31686

arthur31686 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    There's fuzz and then there's the muff circuit. Like others have said 279 is a lot to spend on another muff especially after dabbling in all the available options out there in the boutique world.