1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wrist arch problems when plucking strings

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by thatsfoulbruh, Apr 17, 2010.

1. thatsfoulbruh

thatsfoulbruh

Apr 17, 2010
    Hey guys,
    I've been playing bass ever since 6th grade (stand-up bass/double bass) and switched over to bass guitar around high school years, and I've been playing more and more fluently/progressively.

Alas, recently I've been experiencing excruciating pain in my wrist from arching my arm and hand over the plucking side of my bass when putting weight on it (ex. push-ups or lifting things).

What can I do to remedy this problem?

2. EZ9R

EZ9R

Oct 28, 2008
    Are you talking about bending your plucking wrist?
    You can check out Gary Willis' instructional video on youtube. You don't have to necessarily play his 3 finger technique. But, he does discuss how to benefit playing with a straight wrist.

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    The use of the phrase "excruciating pain" tells you to see a doctor. There is no advice that will help you with excruciating pain... you need a medical examination.:)

4. thatsfoulbruh

thatsfoulbruh

Apr 17, 2010

Well, the pain only happens when (like I said) "I do push ups/lift heavy things." :smug:

I'll go to the doctor if I can remedy the situation and figure out if I'm doing anything wrong while playing bass guitar.

5. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    The fact there is pain in un-related bass playing activity means a doctors is needed more than ever.
    It may be the damage is un-related to your bass playing, an injury or damage from somewhere else and the bass playing just shows it up.
    Pain is there to stop you, it is the bodies brake if you will, making you stop before damage occurs and you have to stop. Maybe there were earlier warnings you ignored, like cramp, twinges or a fatigue in the hand.
    If you have a "referred" pain situation, by that i mean damage showing up in playing but caused by another influence then you need it checked out.;):smug:
    The only one that will suffer from not getting it checked is you.:bawl:

6. thatsfoulbruh

thatsfoulbruh

Apr 17, 2010
    Dear lord, thank you so much for suggesting him to me.

part 2 of the instructional video was EXACTLY what I needed.
    My wrist shouldn't hurt any more :D

ty ty ty tyyyyyy

7. thatsfoulbruh

thatsfoulbruh

Apr 17, 2010
    I completely get where you're coming from :p
    You're right that it should be a warning and a "brake" -- I thank you for your advice but I got it sorted out with the previous poster.
    Thanks for the support!
    -Nick