Writing Key Signatures For Modal Music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I've done all 3, and all 6 gnossiennes, and plenty of other stuff besides, but that's hardly important.

I wasn't paying them, I was working with the director in preparation for a performance, and I spotted an opportunity for something 'extra-curricular'.

As for the Davis transcription, you will have picked up from my posts that Jazz in general really doesn't interest me enough to go looking. I'll leave that discussion to you and @IamGroot .

2. Blissful_Lad

Blissful_Lad Inactive

Feb 22, 2018
    LA/NYC
    Brave man to tread where Debussy wouldn't.

Satie never changed the key signature, even though some analyze the 1st Gymnopedie as shifting through countless keys & modes. I wonder why he didn't just go for "no key signature"? Or, a new key signature, here and there? We'll never know.

Too bad, you might've been interested to see that the transcriber chose a One-Flat Key Signature for the Dorian Mode. Tsk-tsk! :thumbsup:

I think Groot and Sputter Dokter left the building.

SteveCS likes this.
  3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Maybe all those Major 7th chords were to much of a departure for the day - doing it all with accidentals might have been a little too maverick, even for him.

Of course he is also well known for eschewing the bar line. To some that might be considered anathema, but I find it adds to the lyrical quality of the music when reading.

Incidentally, I visited his house in Honfleur a few years ago - there is a piano that has been mechanised (not a pianola) to contantly play some Gnossienne (1-3, IIRC) - its very hypnotic going around and around. I don't know if it's there to entertain or to keep the visitors moving through...

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Are you guys done acting like 7 year olds on the playground?

Yes. Yes you are.

ak56 and mambo4 like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.