1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

writing vocal melody

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by angrysammo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. angrysammo

angrysammo

Sep 29, 2009
    for all those singers out there, I'm looking for advice on writing vocal melody.

What I normally do is play the track in guitar pro and start playing on the keyboard to see what sounds good, but this seems so fake so I really want to know a better way to do it.

should I write the lyrics and then try and put them to the track using my head or keyboard, and try to match notes when the chord changes, etc? or even write the melody first and chord prog later?

any input is greatly appreciated :D

2. Kinda hum along without words, or use da-da-da's, etc. It should come naturally to the voice.

3. angrysammo

angrysammo

Sep 29, 2009
    ah yep. is that the universal process?

4. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    It's pretty common, to say the least.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    How's your theory? Here is a voice leading lesson in four part harmony (Soprano, Alto Tenor, Bass). It can help if you want to write interesting lines using your voice in the soprano or alto, guitar in the tenor and your bass in the bass.

http://spider.georgetowncollege.edu/music/burnette/partwriting.htm

I learned a bunch of this in school and have some understanding of it, but rarely use it for the music I play,...it's a lot of classical theory which if you aren't very familiar with; probably won't make very much sense.

6. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I think that the correct answer to your question is yes. Or more specifically, there is no 'right' way. I go for what comes naturally, then I try to record it and get away from it, then come back and see where I can maybe put a more colorful tone in, something a bit off kilter. I play guitar and bass (I know, shame on me) but I always use my voice as it just seems less sterile. My singer and I like to trade off low and high parts but I always like to make sure that he has the dominant tone while I'm adding color.

You have to find what works for you. Now we harmonize without actually practicing the harmony, even before a live show, I just sort of now do it on the fly which makes it fun.