1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WTDI Problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pshep68, Mar 6, 2016.

1. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    Any idea why my Eden WTDI was faintly picking up a local radio station when going through the PA... and it wasn't detectable in my amp?

2. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    The mic cable going to the PA might've gone 1-legged. Did you try with a different mic cable? Different channel on the desk?

Picking up radio is often a sign of a conductor not terminated at 1 end & acting like an antenna.

3. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    I ended up using a really cheap house DI with the same mic cable and the signal was clean. Any thoughts?

4. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    Does anyone else have a suggestion or a thought to offer up?

5. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    If there was a problem with the WTDI, wouldn't there be a problem with the unit when it is played through an amp?

6. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Not sure of your problem, but my WTDI had cold solder joints and started failing. I took it apart and resoldered it and never had another problem with it.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Depends where exactly the problem is located, and the actual cause. Maybe there was a failing or bridged ground near the balanced output, but after the unbalanced one. Or maybe the failure was caused by some path of least resistance opened up by using the XLR jack.