1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WWTLD? What Would Tony Levin do?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassbrad, Dec 21, 2016.

1. "WWTLD? What Would Tony Levin do?" the guitar player said so I responded what about Jaco, Leland, Pino, Stanley, Bootsey, Alphonso, Ralphe, Percy, Ray, Ron, Flea, Dusty or any other great or not so great bass player.

Sorry for the rant just got home from a session where I got into what started as an off hand suggestion, my funny sarcastic argument that got a bit too out of hand. Some guitar players have much too thin a skin at times. So I started throwing out guitar players, John, Eric, Eddie, Eric, Billy....The drummer was amused and actually was on my side throwing in other bass players and guitar players....until we started naming drummers, Peart, Williams, Cobham, Bonham oh my.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm going to need a little context to determine just how ridiculous this conversation was. Right now all I am getting is that you guys named a lot of famous players of each others' instruments and everybody got pissed. That is off the charts on the ridiculous scale if there's nothing else to it.

Roberto Nunez, Lobster11 and bholder like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Whatever Tony Levin would do, it's very likely to be something I can't, so other than watching / listening in awe, I'm pretty much stuck.

4. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    No matter what the occasion, Tony Levin always shaves his head. In musical terms its known as the Levin Constant.

kesslari and Leo Smith like this.
  5. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    WWTLD? What Would Tony Levin do?

...beat it with a stick...[​IMG]

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    well, you know what they say..."tone is all in the finger....extensions!"

bassbrad likes this.
  7. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    Tony doesn't shave his head. He compresses the crap out of his hair. :)

kesslari, Leo Smith and Goatrope like this.
  8. This is an on and off recording "solo" project for the guitar player that has been running a couple of years, this particular song has been thru several complete make overs all the way through mastering only to go back to the drawing board. This version I am playing my EUB going for the type of sound and vibe TL might get on Liquid Tension Experiment or Last Dance of Mr X. The guitarist out of his own artistic frustration started in on my bass concept for the tune, which was starting to take a shape I was happy with.

9. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Tony Levin would get paid. :D

10. I'll tell you what he'll do... He'll shave his head, tape crap on his fingers and tear it up on the bass, wear sunglasses while playing to an arenas, and be the coolest guy FOREVER.

andruca likes this.
  11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Best answer possible to a bandleader of a for-free project.

Leo Smith likes this.
  12. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    He'd hire his pal/protege Julie Slick to play bass so he could play Chapman Stick.