1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

XLR vs 3.5mm ---> 3.5.mm input

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by busta_bird, May 2, 2010.

1. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I'm sure this is a newbie question. I have a small Tascam recorder that lets me record from the built-in mic or from a 3.5mm input. Does it matter if I run the output from my amp through a XLR cable or through a 3.5mm stereo cable? I assume it doesn't matter as the Tascam has a 3.5mm input, but I wanted to be sure.

2. The question is "Is the 3.5mm input a mic level input (that size usually a TS type for mic) or a Stereo-line level TRS type?" Does your amp DI out allow you mic/line switching? What model Tascam and amp head are you using? In my case, my pre-amp has both XLR and 1/4" balanced (TRS) out along with mic/line level, pre/post switching and ground lift...

Example-A balanced line level XLR to male 3.5mm TRS plug into a Stereo line level input will result in the left and right channels being out of phase on the Tascam

:bag:

3. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I have a GK MB115 combo and the tascam is a DR-07. The amp is a XLR out and a phones out. My options (as far as I know) are to either use XLR and just get a 3.5mm adapter to go into the tascam, or just run a 3.5mm out of the phones jack into the tascam. What do ya think?

4. First I must yell at you-READ THE MANUALS! now that that's out the way .... for now!

The GK MB115 maual does not indicate, from what I read, if it is MIC or Line level. The Tascam has both line and STEREO MIC/w phantom power level inputs. The line input IS stereo as well...so you need a XLR to MONO 3.5mm plug. WARNING: IF you are going to plug into the MIC input
    TURN OFF THE PHANTOM POWER ON THE TASCAM B-E-F-O-R-E YOU PLUG IN-IF YOU DON'T IT WILL CAUSE A 48 VOLT SHORT AND MOST LIKELY F-UP THE TASCAM..YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED Then adjust the rec level function. There is a stereo /mono control for the mic but NOT the line input....If the XLR out is line level, again use the same cable and plug into line input and adjust the rec level.

Now back to reading the manuals. If you don't have them DOWNLOAD THEM... its your equipment LEARN HOW IT WORKS! No-one is asking you to be a design engineer, you are a bass player, but come on...I got this from the MANUALS! Because I am not there to do it ...slap yourself in the back of your head...Now go and play your bass...and you better post some clips!

5. Where are those clips?

6. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Whew. I just got owned :p I read about the inputs/outputs but didn't seem to see anything that you mentioned. I believe I need to re-read my manual. My amp has been in the shop for over a week now with dead outputs (before the Tascam arrived). Whenever I get it back, I'll definitely post some clips. Thanks for pointers and the virtual slap :D