Xotic Bass RC Booster or EP Booster?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Big Strings, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Bass RC Booster

57.9%
  2. EP Booster

42.1%
  1. Big Strings

Big Strings

Sep 16, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    I screwed up and sold my RC Booster.
    After a fairly exhaustive search of TB, I haven't
    found a comparison of the two.

For those of you with experience with or opinions about the two pedals, would the EP Booster offer the same shaping as the RC Booster?

I'm going to buy the RC, I know I will. But, I'm EP curious.

Oh, look! I can do a poll!

2. The EP has its own special magic but for most bass players the RC with separate bass and treble controls will offer more utility.

cavemanbass, Al Kraft and Big Strings like this.
  3. Molnfabrik

Molnfabrik

Jul 8, 2019
    Paris, FR
    I use, almost always ON, the RC Booster. It's a gem !
    The EP booster is such a great piece of gear too.
    You also may want to consider the Super Sweet/Super Clean, they're so good ! :)

Big Strings likes this.
  4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    they're both great, but both are completely different.

Al Kraft and bassbrad like this.
  5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    Wellington, NZ
    The EP is from the preamp section of a tape echo delay. I understand it will color your tone.

6. Big Strings

Big Strings

Sep 16, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the input. I did what I knew I would and another RC Booster is on the way.
    I use the RC as a preamp and the BB as an overdrive into a Countryman DI...I know the Tonehammer and other's can simplify this, but having tried several preamp/di's I can't hear what the Xotic combo offers.

Frank_Raider likes this.
  7. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Now you've got me intrigued. I've been wanting a preamp for my second board and an RC booster is looking pretty cool atm.

Big Strings likes this.
  8. Big Strings

Big Strings

Sep 16, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    I swear if my pedalboard had a name it'd be Twelves...every pedal I have is set at 12 o'clock. I love the simplicity and the reward for trusting the tone the builders intended. Now, if I could find a way to set my tuner to 12:00....

Texican and gregmon79 like this.
  9. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I own and voted for the RC as it offers more flexibility for tone shaping. I have used the EP and it is nice, but more valuable if you have other tone shaping pedals to go along with it.

Big Strings likes this.
  10. Please... elaborate.

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    they're two completely different circuits.
    the ep booster uses just uses two transistors (a Jfet and a BJT) whereas a the Bass RC uses two BJT transistors and an opamp with drive, treble and bass controls so while they can both do clean tones there's no way that they'll sound the same.
    here's the schematics:
    EP booster:
    xotic_ep_booster schematic.jpg

Bass RC booster:
    BASS RC Booster schematic.jpg

12. Thanks for all the info! It appears I will be going with the Xotic Bass RC Booster V2. It appears to check all the boxes for me.

Al Kraft likes this.
  13. Hey Al... thanks for chiming in! Do you think the Xotic Bass RC Boost will work just as well with a Class D (S.S.) amp like my D-800, as opposed to a tube amp?

14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    It isn't the same circuit, but they want you to think it has the same "magic". That aside, it works well at what it does, which is one specific thing. I like it better than the ones which have the same circuit as the tape delay.

The RC is a flexible tool that can do a bunch of different things.

Al Kraft and Kipp Harrington like this.
  15. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    For what it does, yes, and it will do its thing wonderfully. However, if you're are using it specifically to push the preamp harder (like trying get a tube amp into OD territory), then I would say that the D-800 SS front end will OD like it would with any other hot signal.

I like the RC with my D-800 and am a clean player...so that set-up works very nicely for me.

Kipp Harrington and arepa_funk like this.