Xotic XJ-1T vs Xotic XJ-Pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by samcrabtree01, Apr 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Just wondering if anyone knows the differences between these 2 Xotics?

I tried the XJ-1T recently and thought it was incredible but the Pro bass is significantly cheaper in price.

Thanks

2. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    The XJ-1T is built in Japan. The Pro Vintage is made in Indonesia.

The XJ also has their trilogic preamp and switched for low boost and bright. They are also voiced differently. I have both instruments. They are both great!

3. Thanks for the reply. Is the XJ-1T worth the extra $$

4. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I've had both. The only difference in the preamp is the XJ-1T has the switches to change the center frequencies on the mids and treble. There is no low boost switch. The pickups are voiced a little different. The Pro Vintage mids are locked at 800mhz. I don't remember where the bass and treble is set at. I got this from Xotic because I asked them if a switch could be added to change the mid frequency like the XJ-1T models and they said no.

The Pro-Vintage is nice. I've had 3 and they all were nice. I ended up going back to my Laklands.

samcrabtree01 likes this.
  5. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    It depends... I like the quality of the Japanese made... the headstock is thinner, there is a little more attention to detail.

If I had a chance to get a Japanese 5, I would. I opted to keep my Xotic 5 and sell my MTD 535. I'm just now selling my Xotic 4...

samcrabtree01 likes this.
  6. Strongly looking at the XJ-1T now. Is there much difference between the new and old models?

7. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    There is definitely a quality difference between the Indonesian and Japanese made instruments. The headstock is a little thinner on that Japanese made, the EQ is a little better. The Indonesian captures a vintage tone whereas the Japanese version gives you a more modern tone.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021