XTC - Senses Working Overtime

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Stace, Mar 4, 2006.

1. I really like this song, and have sat and tried to tab this myself, but I'm struggling (I've only been playing for 6 months now) with it. Anyone out there already tabbed it??? :bassist:
  2. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Wow, I didn't think there were any other XTC fans on TalkBass!
  3. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    How about three fans! I tried playing this years ago, and gave up. I probably could now. I did figure out Mayor of Simpleton..that's a finger twister!
  4. I think half the problem is that it changes pitch about halfway through. I've tabbed the intro, pre-chorus and first chorus so far. It's definitely a challenge :meh:
  5. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    /\ I prefer biscuit shapes myself.

Colin Moulding has come up with some very tasty(tasty like a biscuit. See what I did there?) lines over the years, and apparently he only plucks with his index finger.

Another unsung mutant. :D
  6. fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    "Runaway" is one of my favorites, but good call on "senses" - also "No Thugs In Our House."
    LonF and PMagers like this.
  7. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I only pluck with my index finger. I think my fave would be Making Plans for Nigel, The Ugly Underneath, or Super Supergirl - haven't picked up their latest album, though, so that might change.
  8. They had some really creative bass parts. I had almost forgotten about that song in my CDs until I read this thread. What a cool line!
  9. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Crap, I used to love those guys, Todd Rundgren produced them.
    Back to the CD store, I only had them on cassette and chucked all those when I moved.
    What was the one about drowning in someones cauldron? Or a summers cauldron?
  10. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    "here I'm found
    floating round and round
    like a bug in brandy
    in this big bronze cup"

Summers Cauldron - add that to my list of favorites
  11. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Rather than starting a new thread, would any of you guys know the tabs for "That Wave?"
  12. I have been a hard-core XTC fan since I bought Skylarking way back in the early nineties. I remember watching them play on Canada’s equivalent of the Grammys (the Junos) many years ago. They played Dear God. That song really moved me and that was what prompted me to buy Skylarking. At first I had a hard time getting into them but after a few listens they started to grow on me. Now I’m an addict.

It’s difficult to pick a favorite. Dear God is great. So is Cynical Days, One of the Millions, Love on a Farm Boy’s Wages, Summer’s Cauldron, Easter Theatre, Senses Working Overtime, Then She Appeared. I’d better stop here but I could go on for hours.
  13. I think XTC is brilliant! And I have always loved "Senses Working Overtime" - One of the best pop songs ever written, as far as I am concerned. And I love the odd, derge-like treatment of the verses... I am sorry, I do not have a tab for you, but I can say that I am confident if you listen to the song a lot and sit with the CD for a while you will hammer it out.

"Love on a Farmboys Wages" = so cool!
    Bassline for "Mayor of Simpletong" = awesome!
  14. I have lots of pals that have worked with XTC, who remain just about my favorite "band" of all time.

If you are still seeking tabs/info., you should try posting it at http://chalkhills.org/. I am 100% confident that someone there should be able to point you in the right direction! :)

15. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Ah, good, an XTC thread. That gives me a rare opportunity to look cool (trust me, it doesn't come up that often). I now direct you to my tour diaries form my band's UK tour last year where you can read about my XTC-rific adventures playing in Swindon. It starts with Colin Moulding sending us a letter and ends with Andy Partridge's daughter knowing the words to our songs and me speaking to the man himself on a payphone outside the club.

Go to the link below and look for tour diaries.

Go, read it. I don't have much to brag about, I have to be find something to be proud of.

16. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Holly Up on Poppy!!