1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

YA NBD: A great (not a) P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThuzzleFump, May 28, 2017.

1. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    My compulsion to collect instruments that are just a little different is never-ending. Here's a blast from the past: Hondo Longhorn Bass. It shares the style and the 24 frets of the Dano, but otherwise it's basically a rockin' P-bass in Danelectro drag.

This bass is phenomenal. Built like a tank, super low action, obvious great access to the higher frets, and all the tone and impact of a heavy body and massive brass bridge. It's near-mint, sounds killer, and plays like a dream. I hope you enjoy these shots and comments.

Full shot. 34 inch scale, brass nut and bridge. Heavyish, tone and sustain for days.

IMG_20170527_190854097.jpg
    Here's a closer look at the body and the lower part of the neck. I guess we'd call these vintage size frets today. I like 'em. Neck is genuinely "fast," even if that's hard to define objectively. Let's just say that I ripped through some T Rex, Deep Purple, Golden Earring, and Mott. Pickup is DiMarzio (Hondo was moving upmarket with some instruments) and sounds GREAT.

IMG_20170527_190902402.jpg
    Minty as a mouth full of LifeSavers. Those ancient strings ring and growl like new Roto 66s just because of the mass and general solidity of the instrument.

IMG_20170527_190927970.jpg
    If you ever call me a knob, I'm going to tell me you are talking about these and take it as a compliment. Those little serrations are unusual. I've seen the switch called a "bass booster" but since it's a passive instrument, it's maybe a low-pass filter? I don't know and it's so nicely put together I don't want to take it apart to find out. It makes a bit of difference in tone.

IMG_20170527_190947144.jpg

Back when men were men and the coolest bridges were brass. It *is* a pretty sweet bridge.

IMG_20170527_190952912.jpg
    The back is like the front, but with a little less stuff on it. Good look at the finish here. The pics have a little bit of a green cast to them. The color is warmer in real life. Honestly, it's not my first choice of a color, but it was 1981, after all.

IMG_20170527_191015006.jpg

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That's super clean if nothing else.

nixdad and ThuzzleFump like this.
  3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Awesome score!!

-robert

nixdad, P. Aaron and ThuzzleFump like this.
  4. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Yeah. It's near-new. Not sure it was ever played. It's that clean.

FunkHead likes this.
  5. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    Good grief, that's got to be early to mid 80s at the very latest, right? Was the previous owner keeping it a vacuum chamber or something?

Never seen or heard of these before in spite of being a big Danny and Longhorn fan; I want one!

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Ha! Congrats.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  7. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Yup. 1981. Seems to have spent most of its time in the case. Under the bed, I imagine.

pudgychef, nixdad and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. What does it weigh? How does it hang on a strap?

9. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Not quite 10 lb. Hangs well. Best played a bit low.

Arizona Jones likes this.
  10. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    This is identical to my old Hondo. Loved that bass! Congratulations on a great score.
    The switch is a parallel / series switch for the Model P PU, btw.

11. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    The P-Horn.

spiritbass and ThuzzleFump like this.
  12. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Very nice.:woot:

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  13. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Thank you. Doesn't seem to do much. Tips?

14. YAy!!!

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  15. I'd trade my Dano Longhorn for that any day of the week! I'll have to keep my eyes open for one.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  16. Another very cool Hondo from days gone by :D Congratulations.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  17. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Thanks. There's a doubleneck 8/4 on Reverb right now. Don't imagine I didn't think about it...:D

18. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Hmm... The switch on mine made a noticeable difference. One position was quite a bit hotter & thicker than the other.
    Perhaps its been modded to only give one wiring option if the previous owner didn't use the other? Just a thought.

19. I've wanted one of those Honda longhorns for a long time. They always seem to be just a little too much even when I have extra money.

The knurled knobs like that are also my favorite version of speed knobs.

Congrats, sir. Color me jealous.drool:smug::thumbsup:

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  20. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Nice, nice nice :thumbsup::)

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021