Yamaha Bass Identification?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by umpdv5000, Jul 8, 2008.

1. umpdv5000

umpdv5000

Jul 8, 2008
    Hi,

I recently bought a 1970's Yamaha Bass that I am having difficulty finding out the model. It is shaped like the Yamaha SG guitar with two either side machine heads. It is a 32" mid scale length (same as a Rick), has a single pickup and is built like a tank. I have searched the net trying to find information on it, but keep drawing a blank. The only thing I found was someone in the US on another forum that had bought one and was seeking information on the model, without success. I am new to this forum and I don't know if this will work, but I will use the attachment facility to post a photo. If you can help identify it, I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Martin (from UK)

2. umpdv5000

umpdv5000

Jul 8, 2008
    Hi, me again, I hit the paper clip icon and supposedly uploaded my picture, but I don't see it anywhere. I will try it again. If it doesn't appear, maybe you could tell me how it works?

Martin.

Attached Files:

3. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    best thing to do is post this question in a gear section of talkbass, as I really don't know too much about any gear and try not to get into gear discussions on this side of the forum.

Easy,

Janek

4. umpdv5000

umpdv5000

Jul 8, 2008
    No problem, I think I may have cracked it.... I believe it to be an SB-35 which has come straight from an ex Yamaha employee. Thanks all the same.

Martin.

5. jbotne

jbotne

Jul 14, 2008
    Just posted a thread on the same subject.

Are you sure about the model cause yamaha database douesnt even recognize it?

This ones mine btw

Attached Files:

6. umpdv5000

umpdv5000

Jul 8, 2008
    I know that this is a long time after you posted your reply and it's most probable that you will never read it, but...

Yes, I am absolutely certain of the model being an SB-35 as the Yamaha rep described it in such detail it couldn't have been any other. Made between 1972-75, it has a 31.5 inch scale, Maple neck with Rosewood board, Katsura Body, one pickup, one volum, one tone.

They really are quite rare, I don't know if you still have yours or if you sold it. I am not about to part with mine at any price, but it would be interesting to know of any that have been sold, just to get an idea of its value. Although I rate this bass very highly, I suspect that because it is so difficult to trace, that it may not hold the value that it should, simply because its almost unheard of. However, I am very:hyper: pleased to own one.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to Basses.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021