Yamaha BB vs Jazz bass comparison (PJ vs JJ)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vanheusen77, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Yamaha

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. Jazz bass

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    I made this short comparison between the BBP35 and a Fender American Special Jazz to hear the difference between the PJ and JJ setups. I have to admit I also think polls are fun!

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I vote both because they sound great!
    Tomy ear, Your Am Special Jazz sound much better and sweet sounding than current Am Pro J. Love the colour too.

3. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    Thanks! I have not compared the J to the new American Pro 2 yet, but that would be interesting!

4. Both sound pretty awesome. I have a BB735 and a MIJ Fender Jazz bass. I think the jazz sounds better when solo, but the Yamaha sounds better in a mix.

Anyway, great video.

5. someguyfromNC

someguyfromNC

Jul 4, 2015
    NC
    In this mix I'd say the Yamaha. When you do that hammer on on that first half step up it sounds so much deeper and fuller with the Yamaha.

6. This is why I rotate my basses, they all sound great and the change is nice.

I have a PJ Yamaha and a few J types and they're all my favorites at one time.

Scotthayer likes this.
  7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Nice playing! As for the sound, both work for that song, so choosing one over the other is kind of like splitting hairs. That being said, I found my ear being drawn more towards the clarity of the American Special Jazz, but that's just my personal preference. Everyone else's mileage may vary. ;)

8. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    Yeah it can really inspire in different ways!

9. satjhmo

satjhmo

Nov 16, 2020
    Yamaha sound more forward and aggressive. The note onset is quite pronounced with more of a "bup" right at the front of the waveform - at least, in that recording. It's great, but I prefer the more level tonal balance of the J.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You need an option for a tie because you sound nearly identical.

11. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    To me the PJ has more mids and the Jazz has more of the “crispy” high end. But yeah they sound more similar than you would think.

12. Prog Fan

Prog Fan

Aug 4, 2017
    SoCal
    I think the Yamaha has a little more mid range and overall sounds "thicker". But they are very close and both sound great.

Bassclef46 likes this.
  13. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    Was thinking the same thing.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021