1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BB2000: Genuine Vintage Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 29, 2017.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I search eBay sometimes for BB2000 basses, and prices have gone up steadily. The cheapest I saw was $914 for a BB2000s, which only has the split pickup. PJ BB2000s are now all between $1,100-$2,200. They are getting as expensive as the old Japanese TRB basses.

Nunovsky likes this.
  2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    It isn't just the BB's. Used prices are climbing. Yamaha, Peavey, Ibanez - all the models that I would consider vintage-worthy are creeping up in price. I can't say if they are selling for what they are asking, though.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    These higher prices are a strong incentive for me to keep my old Peaveys because replacing them just might be too dear for my budget.

wvbass likes this.
  4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    The prices are going up because the basses are finally once again being recognized as the excellent instruments they are.

The 80's stuff in particular has outlasted the Hair Band stigma that sent them to the bottom of the pile. Nobody wanted that association
    for a long time. Now that craftsmanship is very desirable in spite of those various turnoffs.

Several years ago I was looking for a BB3000S and it took over a year before I found one. There was a dry spell. It was just North of $1K then and I grabbed it. Zero regrets! I was very glad to finally find one in great condition. (BTW, there's a nice clean one on Reverb right now - MIJ 1984 Yamaha BB3000S Bass Guitar w/Case - Mike Anthony of Van Halen!!).

A few years back I think I was the last guy to get an 80's Peavey Rudy Sarzo for $400...and what a steal.
    I've been looking and I'm sure I won't find another in that neighborhood.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021