1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BB414 Replacement Bridge??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Dec 15, 2006.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have a BB414 that I like a lot except the bridge seems kind of wimpy. It looks a little out of scale, too, compared to the pickup trim plates, etc.

Anyway, the bridge looks similar to a standard Fender so I tried a BadAss II and the mounting holes don't match up.

Anyone have better luck? Maybe Hipshot or Gotoh??

2. Machines

Machines

Dec 1, 2005
    Birmingham, UK
    Moderator: basschat.co.uk
    I fitted a cheap £8 bridge from www.chguitars.co.uk on my BB614 - it's made a world of difference. No pics in situe but it's the B18 below.

c565_1.

Indeed the screw holes didn't match, but it wasn't a big deal to put news ones in.

3. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
  4. neto

neto

Jun 15, 2006
    Brazil
  5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
  6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The problem with the "Fender replacement" bridges is that the mounting holes are off just enough to not work and not leave enough room/wood for different screws to get a good grip.

7. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    I have a BB-X bass and was thinking of replacing the bridge. Are you saying that any "fitting" replacement bridge will require new holes?

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I like the Gotoh 206 - massive, adjustable string spaces, and you can screw down the saddles.

Good stuff. Its on the expensive side, though...like 40ish

9. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    Hello, this is my first post on the TB forum.

ok, i just got my brand new bb414 and want to replace the bridge also, so today i ordered the gotoh 201 black which should fit, but if the mounting holes doesn't match then i will have the guy at the store i ordered it from fit it on my bass.

should have it early next week so i'll let you know if it fits or not. I think the black 201 should look really cool on my wine red bb414.

10. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I just bought a black 201 for my P-bass and I love it.

If the screw holes match, you've made a good choice.

11. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Did that Gotoh 201 fit the BB414 w/o drilling new holes? I just got one in Wine Red also. What a great bass! It blows doors all over my MIM 60th anniversary P (which will be on the auction block soon). I may decide to replace the bridge also, everything else is perfect stock.

12. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    Yes indeed, no modification needed. And it looks NICE :D
    and i really think it sounds better, more defined, less sloppy. But i have a really crappy amp and i'm somewhat new to bassplaying so i don't really know exactly how much it improves the tone. Would be interested to know what others think it does for the tone.

but yeah, i really recommend it for the bb414!
    here's my WR bb414 with the black gotoh 201!

Attached Files:

13. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

Nov 8, 2005
    Kendal UK
    Anyone got an idea for bridges for the 5 string?

Peter

14. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    well, gotoh should fit!

meassure the width of the stock bridge and the stringspacing, if that matches with the replacement, than the mounting holes should also fit!

15. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    i think i "spoke" too soon, probably impossible to find a replacement bridge for the 415 & 615 that fits without drilling new holes.

16. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

Nov 8, 2005
    Kendal UK
    Looks like the 2015 will do nicely.

I'll check when I actually have the bass.

Peter

17. I'm going to bump up this thread by asking:

Does the BB415/BB615 have a replacement bridge?

18. Mrbuk

Mrbuk

Dec 31, 2007
    Erie PA
    Top,

I just got a natural 614 with chrome hardware, but have a black 201 laying around. I guess I'll check to see if it fits, then report back.

19. Mrbuk

Mrbuk

Dec 31, 2007
    Erie PA
    My initial report is as follows:

Placing the 201 on top of the stock Yamaha bridge (without measuring, on bass) the 201's mounting holes revealed the center of the stock bridge's mounting screws.

Next I'll measure, he...ck, if it fit's I may not bother ordering a chrome one, the black matches the pickup covers.

(I can't imagine the bridge would be different between the 414, and 614.)

20. Mrbuk

Mrbuk

Dec 31, 2007
    Erie PA
    Gotoh 201 IS a direct replacement, mine fell right into place using stock holes.
    Now if I can get the intonation just right.

FatDaddySam likes this.