Yamaha BBT500H, any users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eots, Dec 26, 2004.

1. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I recently got one but have only practiced with it. I'd compare it to the new Ag500, EA iamp500, or ampeg's new digital amp. Can't remember the model number. It's got 5 presets that can be switched via midi pedal and 6 more models set manually. At $600 I figured to be a pretty good buy compared to the aforementioned. I'm still coming up with cab $$ but I'm thinking either the matching Yamaha bass cabs or a pair of EA wizzy 112's to get the most out of this amp. Yamaha doesn't give specs for the cab's other than the 1-10,2-10, and 4-10 cab's each are 4 ohms. No frequency rating, sensativity, ???
  2. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I recently put a thread up about the same head and found there had been a previous thread up about it here.

Can you tell me what the spec is on the amp as it doesn't say whether the power is RMS or not?

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Please keep informed on how the amp works out. I would really like to know good the power is and how it does in a gig situation.
  4. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    About all I can say for now is, I loaned it to a buddy that has a recording studio in his basement. All he had been doing for bass was direct into the board. PPPTTTHHHH. :eyebrow: I loaned my Carvin lb70p also, which was a vast improvement over his recent bands passive peavey p-bass. This amps line out made a world of difference. I'm not done much recording myself but I would assume there are plenty of products that would improve upon that scenario. I have heard ,though, of amp line outs that are crap as far as recording goes. This is not one of those. The fuzz and distortion settings(they are separate) sound pretty similar to each other without any eq changes and the 'heavy' setting can be made to sound similar as well. I have a Carvin pb200 combo that has 1 knob for compression so I'm used to that. The compressor function on this is a bit overwhelming to me. For now I'll just stick to a few of the presets like the 'flat', 'modern' and 'r&b'. The 500watt rating is at 2 ohms and 250@4. I'm looking to max that with 2 4ohm cabs. I just ebay'd my GK800rb and ART nightbass cause they were getting up in years and new gear has a way of getting the ol' juices flowing again.
  5. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I saw that thread after I posted mine but didn't see that anyone actually owned one. I may be one of the 1st. I have looked into EA iamp's and they are a bit pricey for me. I don't figure on ever needing that much power(i800)not that you can have too much, but it was twice the price as is the AG500. I expect the new ampeg digital is too.Plus I get a few effects w/o having too set up anything requiring wall warts or extra cords.
  6. Looks like a couple whizzy cabs would be my choice. That 500 watt rating is at 2 ohms.
  7. Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    I don´t know about the sensitivety and freq, but all the tree cabs are rated at 250Watts into 4 ohms. So they are all ´made specially for the head. I said in a previous thread that the 2x10 is lacking a little in the bottom in my apinion but try it with a diferent cab or with the Yamaha 4 x 10. A friend tried it with the 2 x 10 at a medium club gig and said he really liked the sound but it was lacking in power. SO more cabs or better cabs either way I think the head is a good investment.
  8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK

Have any more people tried this head yet?

It's just become available here in the UK and is reasonably priced. I'm am not particularly interested in 'amp modelling', but I'd be interested if it can run a 'clean' sound.