1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha PB1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arambass, Mar 31, 2013.

1. arambass

arambass

Jul 3, 2002
    dfw
    A friend of mine as well as myself both own PB1's. Itseems these preamps have a very hot signal .With my stingray(very hot bass) I can't crank the vol on the PB1 past 9:00.And the direct out is extremley stout(sound guys asking me if I can lower the signal to them).
    So we are wondering are all PB1's like this or is there a trick that we dont know about to pad it.

2. I also have a Stingray and a PB1 and am experiencing the same phenomenon you are with the volume. I've been able to manage the DI since it has its own volume pot.

My only question is: Why does this bother you? I'd much rather have too much gain available than not enough.

3. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    I think it's more of a case of how hot the bass is, in this situation. I use a passive P bass with the PB-1 and have no issues.
    one of my friends uses Stingrays and never dimes the volume on them, about halfway I think. I use my sabre the same way, maybe about 3/4 up.

4. arambass

arambass

Jul 3, 2002
    dfw
    Its not really bothering me but I was curious as to this being normal for the PB1.

5. arambass

arambass

Jul 3, 2002
    dfw
    Thanks for the replies guys!

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Totally normal operation.
    These preamps have a BOATLOAD of gain.
    Love mine!
    I'm still exploring different effects of different settings on the parametric mid control -- lots of good sounds to be found!

7. I had one and loved it. I upgraded the op amps, and that helped - cleaner and a bit more punch. I also discovered that the reason it is heavy is because of the top and bottom plates. I replaced mine with aluminum..

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    If you don't mind me asking, what op amps did you put in it?

Did the tone lose any of it's warmth?