1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha PU upgrade.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hotpants, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Hotpants

Hotpants

Apr 13, 2009
  2. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I had a similar tone goal for my TRB5, although I felt that it sounded more modern than I wished, rather than more "dull". I wanted to back off the zing just a little.

When I went through this with my TRB5, I learned that (at least on the TRBs) Yamaha has really done their own thing with the electronics on their basses. The preamp was totally proprietary and pretty much could only be used with the OEM pickups, so I had to replace both. Also, I could identify no aftermarket pickups that fit the OEM routs, so I had to cut some little blocks of ebony to occupy the open space left by the Bartolini pickups I used.

Oddly, despite the fact that the Barts I used are supposedly darker than average, and the Aguilar OBP-3 I used has a much lower output level than OEM, my bass still sounds very much like a Yamaha. I expected more of a sea change in tone than I got. If I had been able to hear the "after" tone, I most likely would have avoided the expenditure.

3. Dream182

Dream182

Nov 12, 2007
    Thailand
    P' Da

....Are u..