1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha RBX-170 vs Squier Affinity PJ bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayer364, Nov 24, 2017.

1. BassPlayer364

BassPlayer364

Jan 13, 2014
    I'm debating whether or not to replace my Yamaha RBX-170 with a Squier Affinity PJ bass. I just want to see what everyone thinks of the two and if one is better than the other in terms of quality and tone.

2. I've tried both.

I have the RBX170. I like it. Not a big fan of longscales but that bass is so nice to play for a longy.

Mine seems to be quite well built basically. Stock pups aren't too bad at all for my liking.

I'd venture the neck on the Yamaha is a lot more solid than the Squier Affinity.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think they're equally as good but each has a different feel.

4. This is the most likely.

I have played both and they are both fun and well built.

The Yamaha was the real surprise. I played a RBX 174 mango wood. Fun to play, light, seemed like a short scale but not.

Play both.

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    replacing the Rbx170 with the Squier is a little like replacing a Toyota with a Mazda. Both are decent instruments, one is not really an improvement over the other, in fact I would say the Yamaha is better quality overall. seems more solid, neck is stable as heck. RBX neck is a tad wider if I remember correctly, I used to own both a while back.

6. Kubicki440

Kubicki440

Feb 6, 2011
    I had the Yamaha TRBX204, not exactly what you have, but I just picked up a Squier Affinity PJ yesterday. I prefer the slimmer neck of the Squier, and it is easy to modify, later if I want.

The Yamaha seemed to have the better overall quality, I just don't like the fatter neck of the Yamaha since I am used to Ibanez profile. I actually preferred the tone of the Squier a smidge more than the Yamaha.

7. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    As an owner of the yamaha, Id say that at best its a lateral move. Now if youre looking at a used MIM from fender... sure thats an upgrade...

BioDriver likes this.