1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha RBX170 or Ibanez GSR200? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BahamaBass, Mar 12, 2009.

1. BahamaBass

BahamaBass

Nov 15, 2008
    no one? :bawl:

2. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Had to make the choice a couple years ago between those exact two, went with Ibanez. Don't regret the choice.

3. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Well I can recommend the GSR200 as I have it and I love it, it's great for it's extremely cheap cost.

The only thing I see to be better about the Yamaha is that it has 24 frets in contrast to the GSR200's 22. Besides that, I can completely recommend the GSR200.

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Wow, they are pretty similar. Looks like they were designed to compete against each other for sales.

I've had a GSR200, and I think they are good basses for the money.

But I've also owned two Yamaha basses and I think Yamaha makes some of the better "budget" basses and guitars available.

I'd give the edge to Yamaha, on the models you show here, but not by much. Try to play both before buying. One of them will speak to you.

5. BahamaBass

BahamaBass

Nov 15, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. wow really? GSR200?

I've always felt and needed the comfort of taking the rbx170 to gigs. thought it had a thicker sound. a good all round bass as well.

however I have always enjoyed messing around and practicing with the gsr200 but when time came to take one to a paid gig I always chose the rbx170.

6. Zebrdee

Zebrdee

Mar 1, 2009
    Just had the same decision and went with the Yamaha. The GSR200 was nearly twice the price and not in a colour I liked. ;)

7. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I've played both,

definitely go with the Ibanez. Hands down, end of story.

8. BahamaBass

BahamaBass

Nov 15, 2008
    wow everyones just about says Ibanez. it really does sound sweet when you use a pick with it.

maybe I'll check out an SR530 when I'm in the guitar center. I like the black one with gold. should sound way better or just better than the GSR200?

I think I'm changing over to pick. :)

SR530...
    [​IMG]

9. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I think the biggest thing to consider here is the radius on the neck. The Yamaha has a pretty round radius to it, so the fretboard is noticeably convex. As much as I like my RBX4 A2 overall, that radius does make it harder for me to do some things and I've come to realize that I prefer the almost flat radius on my Helix, even though its neck is a pretty fat C shape, compared to a slimmer neck on the Yamahas.

Go to a guitar store and see if you can get some minutes on both of them.

10. BahamaBass

BahamaBass

Nov 15, 2008
    I actually have both the gsr and rbx. I find the gsr to be a little faster and easier to play (I have small hands). I play lead guitar so I'm used to the thinner neck. just want to best sound and ease of playing I can get. I can go as high as $600 if I upgrade.

11. BahamaBass

BahamaBass

Nov 15, 2008

interesting bass guitar.

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The GSR200 is THE BEST bass for the money IMO, even if it doesn't borrow the Fender look.

13. rcadble

rcadble

May 12, 2008
    I've got a GSR200, it's ugly, but it's durable and the sound is horrible. It's a good backup bass.

14. Owning the GSR200 and an earlier 90s verison of this Yamaha RBX budget line (mine is an RBX250), I've got to say the Yamaha has a much fuller sound to it, and I honestly would attribute that to a higher body mass. After owning the Ibanez, I discovered I am not a fan of lightweight basses. This GSR200 just has too thin of a tone. Put flats on it, and there's still not enough body.

The GSR200 is my backup for when my Yamaha is in the shop, but nothing more than that. Every now and then I might put some piccolo bass strings on it and toy with that too