Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YAY! 32d notes

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by The Artist, Jun 11, 2005.

1. I know, I know speed isn't everything, but I was just practicing my slaping/popping as useual and I found out a way to play 32nd notes *yay* and there clean :)
    I_'ve been improving it and seeing what I can do with it for the past few hours couse I've never played anything faster than 16th notes. Happy Happy Joy Joy :hyper:

I'm not trying to be a wanky show off, ...for all I know it isn't even anything special... but yay for me, I just accomplished something new.

Please share any other acomplishments or anything that makes you feel good about your playing. Let's call this an achievement list :smug:

yay for all
    Alexx

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Congrats. 32nd notes at what BPM? I can play 64th notes....at 20bpm ;)

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Damn, Bryan beat everyone to the obvious joke.... :(

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I can play 256th notes at 5 BPM.

5. And I can play 512th notes at... aww forget it. :rolleyes: :)

6. hmmm... I just tested it as fast as I could without it going sloppy ...I got to 240bpm. (!) (would that even make sence? it's the fastest my metronome goes...)

where could I upload a video to?

7. TheMinotaur

TheMinotaur

Jun 5, 2005
    Ummm 32nd notes at 240 quarter notes per minnute? If you tape a pick to a drill and play at high speed you may get 32nd notes then but human fingers cant possibly play that fast.

8. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I agree...

9. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    +1

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Quarter notes(1/4) at 240bpm would be nice...

11. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    Quick math:

240 bpm
    = 240/60
    = 4 beats per second
    = 1 whole note per second (in 4/4 time)

So, 32nd beats would be simply 32 notes per second. What you need to be careful of is this - at some point these attack beats may begin producing a note of their own. What you need to do is stay in key.

For example, B = 30.8677 Hz, from a low B string, so, playing 32nd notes at 240 bpm would produce a 1.13 Hz beat pattern due to pitch interference. Therefor, you may wish to play at a lower tempo such as 231.5 bpm if playing in B.

You can adjust accordingly by multiplying by the 12th root of two and dividing by whole numbers.

:bag:

12. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The clicks on your metronome represent quarter notes, not 32nd notes. If you play one note per click with the metronome set on 240bpm, you're effectively playing 32nd notes at 1/8 that speed, 30bpm.

Set your metronome to 80bpm, see if you can play 4 notes per click of the metronome, that'd be playing 16th notes. Now try playing twice as fast, which I personally can't do cleanly, and you're playing 32nd notes at that pace. Do you feel the difference? 32nd notes are really, really fast

Playing 32nd notes at 240bpm is 32 notes per second. I'd say that's 3-4 times faster than I can comfortably play

13. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    do you rekon its humanly possible to play that fast? :bassist:

14. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The faster you play the more you become limited by your endurance, right hand technique, muting skills, and the nature of a plucked bass string. So even if you could pluck a string 32 times per second, you'd have little to no control over muting and dynamics for individual notes. Of course, it wouldn't sound much like a normal bass at that speed no matter what you did.

15. ahhh... ok. (sorry, I'm an idiot!) :oops: I worked it out all wrong. Each click, at 240BPM, I do three notes... so I suppose they're 8th note triplets. Am I right? :confused:

thanks guys ;)

16. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    A great example of what you all are talking about would be the song "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" by Francisco Tarrega, as recorded by the late (and great) classical guitarist Andres Segovia. 5 minutes of 32nd note tremolo picking...no joke. Probably only goes 80 bpm, but it's a good example for comparison.

In case anyone cared to know :eyebrow:

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think a pretty good way to measure speed(if you must) is to do quarter notes at X BPM. You'll probably end up at 400-600 BPM, which only digital metronomes can portray, but I think it's a little bit more accurate when it comes to it. I suppose 8th notes are good too. 16th and 32nd notes aren't so good for measuring speed because well, not only are they slightly less common, but it's easy for people to get confused and/or not really understand how fast you were playing.

Well, I find that my right hand can play a lot faster than my left hand can keep up with, so I don't really care heh.