1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yeah another post.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Kenjuku0530, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Kenjuku0530

Kenjuku0530

Jun 7, 2009
    Well you guys know the deal with me if you've read my previous posts, is that I usually put things on my "want list" and eventually get around to getting them once money is available. (Don't we all )

Anyways there was a sudden change in my house and I was granted an extra room, but this one just so happens to be in the basement (I smell a studio~). Anyways I have a few friends who are into recording, etc. And I've visited a few studios with the band I've played in (If we can even call our selfs that). So yeah I will post followup pictures of the space i have available. But for now what Im looking for.

Basicly I want to make one of the closets into an Iso. booth to interchange it between vocals and amps. (I know this is going to require some treating but I have no idea where to start) and then I have the whole room left. I plan on placing my brother's soon to be obtained drum set there along with the recording computer, rack. etc.

Since I'm mostly new to the recording gear section of music I would like some of your inputs on what to get. Don't be too afraid of recommending pro grade equipment because I rather pay more upfront than later on having to upgrade because the original wasn't good enough.

But for now...

Recording interface would be first in my opinion.

.....8 inputs would be good for now seeing as I might get another one of the same later on once I have a drum set so it can have its own interface. Anyways just to make sure I also want them to have Firewire interface so I can individual tracks for everything . And if you need me to give you a price range....about 500-700? unless that's not enough. Also enough outputs to match the inputs so I can have a set of headphones for each, not to mention able to give each its own custom mix. (example headphone #4 needs more bass :cool:).

2. Kenjuku0530

Kenjuku0530

Jun 7, 2009
    ^bump:)

3. Its good to approach without being shy of spending money :) Its an expensive endevour but doesn't have to be a massive amount of money to get great results!

I would suggest to put as much as you can afford into a nice interface then spend the rest on mics, DI's and other studio bits and bobs. Its worth getting a decent interface, they keep their value better for a start, and they often negate the need for buying other bits and bobs.

If you get an interface with some decent preamps, maybe an 'instrument' in or two and enough extra ins and outs (like digi ins etc) that you can expand later you'll be set for a while. Not to mention if your interface sounds decent to start with you will be less inclined to want to buy more studio toys to compensate for dissatisfaction!

Real 'pro level' gear can be quite a lot more expensive than your budget, but you can get stuff that is very much in the lower region of pro gear for only a bit more than you have. I'd look at the RME stuff, probably the Fireface 800, it is a proper, fully featured interface with lots of ins and outs, a GREAT software package (ie the interface controllers etc) and some good preamps. It also sits quite a bit cheaper than the next step, which is stuff by apogee and metric halo etc.

A great interface makes all of a studio setup a bit easier, and will have better A/D's and bundled pres as well, so i recommend dropping the cash there.

After that, get some mics, mics are so important. You cant go wrong with a setup including -

A 57 or two
    A nice Large Diaphragm Condensor, plenty of options, though this is an area where a little more money spent will serve you well.
    A nice dynamic like a Sennheiser 421, or for a bit more an sm7 or an maybe an re20
    If possible 1 or 2 small diaphragm condensors, plenty of cheap options, audio technica make some great cheap mics
    Maybe a Ribbon mic, but depends on the music you do a bit.
    A kick mic, like a beta 52a or AKG D112

A complete collection of the above will cost a bit but I've listed in the order I would buy them, you can always add bits one at a time. I think this can help as you really learn each mic as you buy it rather than having too many options.

A mic collection like that going into an RME is a pretty decent place to start! Room treatment on a budget can be very easy, just get some acoustic rockwool, coat in cling film for the fibres (Some people say this is not necessary but it costs £2 a roll so I like to be sure!) and Hang the panels behind cheap curtains hooked on the walls. Budget rugs can also be hung on the walls or used to help bring down floor reflections.

Good monitors are a must, but don't need to be expensive, my personal choice is to go with a pair or old hi fi speakers like AR18's. Great speakers, they don't really compare to modern hi-fi speakers but they are still a joy to mix on and translate really well if you get used to them. Best bit is they cost about £90 on ebay. Wouldn't be everyones choice but they work for me and a lot of TOP engineers.

You may need to buy more preamps if you get a big enough mic collection, there are a quite a few cheaper emulations of very expensive pre's by people like Line Audio or Golden Age Music. Its well worth getting something like this rather than a cheap preamp rack that you will just discard at some point.

You are right in it being worth paying a bit more now and having something that lasts, IMO. Good gear hold its value quite well, and buy carefully and you will never feel the need to sell. I still use pretty much everything I have ever bought fairly regularly!

4. Kenjuku0530

Kenjuku0530

Jun 7, 2009
    thnx for the advice I'll look it over carefully once I have bit more time in my hands (college applications right now -_-)