1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yeah, another Rickenbacker question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PrimusNut, Nov 16, 2006.

1. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    Yeah, I know, about 5 Ric questions pop up every week, lol.

This is just a simple question, why does everyone say a Ric is better with low action? Is there any real reason to this, or is it just because it is more comfortable?

Thanks,

-Curtis

2. As a matter of playing, ANY bass is better with lower action as one can play with more agility with less pressure needing applied to the neck. As far as Rick's, I've had a '74 and an '80and the action was just low enough that unplugged, you could hear a faint fret buzz, but when plugged in...nothing. Some say this is the "perfect" action, but it's all preference.

3. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    Yeah, thats how my action is, but I still get a lot of clank, because I have an aggressive attack. Guess I will have to work on that, or just mask it with some distortion :smug:

thanks.

4. jwr2

jwr2

Nov 13, 2006
    pretty much any bass I own I like to get the action as low as I can ... I have 6 Ric basses ... I feel that a small amount of Fret buzz is part of the Rickenbacker sound ... I think the Ric bass sounds good with treble, distortion, and fret buzz ... the classic Squire and Geddy tone ...

Also Rics sound good when played aggressively ...