Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I've had Fragile for a long time, and I really dig it. For Christmas though, I got Close to the Edge and Tales From Topographic Oceans. I really dig Close To The Edge right now. In fact, my favorite song of the moment is probably Siberean Khatru.

Any other Yes fans here?
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I actually have both of those on vinyl, believe it or not. Now that I have a record player, I think I'll have a listen...
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My dad raised me listening to Led Zeppelin and Yes, so i cant help but love them.
  4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    I agree, no one can dislike them. I don't know one person at my school who doesn't like led zepp.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I used to be a HUGE Yes fan. I still like them. Fragile and in particular CTTE are two excellent albums. TFTO, though, has got to be the most pretentious and bloated piece of garbage I've yet to come across (with the Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe album a close second?). Much of their newer material is lacking too, but at least there's something good on all albums.
  6. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Yes fan here. :D

I do like most of their stuff, even if some (ok, a lot) of the '80s stuff was kinda arena-rock-cheesey. Recent years have been kinda hit or miss to me... I like the Keys to Ascension studio tracks (live stuff isn't too shabby either) and The Ladder, but most of the other recent studio work has left me a little cold.
  7. The Yes album, along with Fragile, are my two fave Yes albums :)
  8. I'm with Oysterman. Chris Squire was a huge influence for me early on.

I think the Yes Album is my fave, followed closely by CTTE, Relayer, Fragile. That was some great music.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Chris Squire is one of my top favorite bassists as well.
  10. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    my dad introduced me to yes for the first time last night. they were playing on the radio while we were on the way to, of all places, sam ash. i dont remember what song it was, but i really kinda liked it.
  11. I wouldn't mind checking them out. Can anyone recommend a song I should listen to (yes, i'll probably download it to check it out, and if I like it I'll more than likely get the album)?
  12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Roundabout. No doubt you've heard this before.
    Siberean Khatru (my personal favorite)
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Long Distance Runaround is a good popular one too. So is Heart of the Sunrise. A good introductory album to Yes i guess could be Classic Yes, although Fragile is such a great cd.
  14. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    Fragile is one of my favorite albums. I really dig these tracks: The Fish (of course), Roundabout, and Heart of the Sunrise. Other Yes albums that I like but haven't listened to in a long time are Tormato and Close to the Edge.
  15. Oh My
    I could go on for a year about how great YES is! Biggest musical influence of my life. if you want to hear the Masters at their finest, listen and or watch the DVD Yes symphonice lLive in Amsterdam. played with a 45 piece symphony of very young ( mostly female Hip musicians!) the Keys To Ascension sessions studio tracks with Wakeman are some of their best, and in my opinion their last studio album Magnification is a masterpeice of music, some of Squires most inventive playing since the Relayer days in the mid 70's. And lookout for 2004, they are back in the states in the spring and have new music and a new DVD out end of January. They may look like they are ready for the home, but all in thier mid 50's, they are at the top of thiwer game and Rick Wakeman is back as a permanent member!

Ok, enough of my drama! I know it's hard to tell , Im a big YES fan!:bassist:
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i happen to like drama a lot. it tends to get overlooked since jon anderson didn't sing on it, but it's a really great album, a slightly updated sound from the 70's stuff, and yet more "progressive" than 90125 and the other rabin stuff, imo.
  17. hmm, im suprised none of you Yes fans mentioned Relayer. I think Gates of Delirium and Sound chaser are both in my top 10 songs of all time. It is still good to know that im not the only Yes freak out there : )
  18. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I am a huge Fan of Yes and of Chris Squire. Because of him, I now play Rickenbacker Basses mainly.

Close to the edge shows the excellent Tone he`s got from a Ric !!!
  19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    "Relayer" and "Going for the One" have always been my faves..