Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another distortion question ...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dalley, Aug 5, 2005.

1. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    1) How is the battery life in the DOD 250?

2) I was thinking about picking one of these (DOD 250) up for an OD/Distortion effect on a few songs. I currently have the Boss DS-1 that I don't really care for (on bass anyway). Since I only plan on using the dist. effect less than 10% of the setlist, should I even bother getting the DOD. Is it noticeably better that the DS-1?

THANKS GUYS!!!!

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like mine and I think the battery lasted fairly long. I now use a 1spot.

Just buy from somewhere with a return policy. If you don't like it, don't keep it.

Good luck,
    Adam

3. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

I have heard these aren't so hot on active basses.....so you may want to look into that as I notice you are a stingray user. Perhaps others can confirm this...I know Tecx can.....he is the one who told me.

4. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    interesting point about the active bass ... maybe thats why the DS-1 sounds like crap too. I'll have to pick one up and give it a try ... thanks for your help

5. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    1spot?

6. Why would active versus passive affect how the pedal responds? Not doubting it at all, just curious....

7. "Why would active versus passive affect how the pedal responds? Not doubting it at all, just curious...."

It is the signal level that hits the pedals circuit as many are designed to work best with the lower ouput of a passive pickup. An active pup can slam the front end of the circuit with too much signal and max out the circuit, rob it of any dynamic control, and even send the circuit into weird distortion, which can sometimes be a desirable effect though. Just depends on the pedal and lends credence to the buy it, try it, listen and decide scenario we so often visit in our quest for tone.

Same principle as inputs on preamps, one for passive one for active.

Mr. Bear

8. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    i have just taken my EMGs out of my J bass and stuck the fenders back in, i think its less hassle all round in regards to stompboxes, battery life/distortion and dynamics. im using an out board preamp instead and i get a much better, clearer and true sound now.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

It is one adaptor designed to power multiple pedals. I believe it is a Godlyke product.

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    my only complaint about the 250 is that there is no on/off led.. while this saves some battery life i guess, it is a tad annoying. should be an easy mod tho i imagine.

11. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Actually, it's a Visual Sound product. Good stuff!

http://visualsound.net/