Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another Ohm question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stedtale, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Hey TB'ers-

This may be a stupid question, or it may have been answered a million times. I have searched, but I can't find it - if you know where this answer lies, please post the link.

On to the question:

If you could build two amps, with the same tone, sound etc, and build two cabs, same speaker configuration, size, etc, but only changed the ohms, what be better?

Examples...
    Amp/Cab #1:
    -Amp rated at 500w@4ohms (all SS)
    -Cab 4ohms 500w power handling

Amp/Cab #2:
    -Amp rated at 500w@8ohms (all SS)
    -Cab 8ohms 500w power handling

I ask only to see what you Ohm/wattage masters think, not that this would ever be a real issue for me - or anyone. Would either be "better"? What would any differences be? Would one be less/more prone to burnout?

sorry if it's a stupid question...It's just been running through my head recently.

2. I think I just saw the answer on the Ohm FAQs...

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A watt is a watt, output will be the same if driven to full power. The four ohm box can be driven to full power with a 500w/4ohm amp, which is less expensive than a 500w/8 ohm amp. The downside is if that amp won't work at 2 ohms you'd never be able to add a second cab. I recommend a 4 ohm cab if you're quite sure you'll never need a second, an 8 ohm cab if you plan on future expansion of your system.