1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yngwie Malmsteen = Interesting Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BestBass4Metal, Jun 11, 2011.

1. BestBass4Metal

BestBass4Metal

Jun 11, 2011
    :bag: for the thread title ...

haha but anyhow, I'm new to the forum here and this is my first post.

I know Yngwie is a polarizing musician due to both his personality and playing style, but I happen to be a big fan of his, and the whole neoclassical guitar rock genre for that matter. But leaving that stuff aside for the moment, and just examining the basslines going on in his stuff, I feel it's quite interesting. Lots of cool pedal point and sequence type of JS Bach/baroque type things that you rarely hear in a rock bass setting. If you're a fan of some of the things Chris Squire did or some other people who used a classical sort of approach you'd probably really like the bass parts on most of his songs. Another cool plus is that he's used some great players on his tours like Randy Coven and Mick Cervino. So what do you guys think of Yngwie's bass parts?

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Funny..I was listening Yngwie last night after 25 years of not listening to him at all, I actually bought black start and I started to play the bass part. :)

3. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    The tone on Trilogy is fantastic. And the bass work in the title track is beyond awesome.

4. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    i think they are great. i love to jam far beyond the sun, it took about 2 weeks to learn it, especially the riff behind the keyboard solo !

5. I will hug Yngwie's nuts forever lol

6. Nice name there "vittu" lmao!!

Yngwie is amazing!!

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Doesn't Yngwie play most of his own parts in the studio?

8. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    I have a great story about my late teacher and his stint with him years ago if anyone's interested.

9. Nolifer

Nolifer

Apr 14, 2009
    Estonia
    Do you by any chance mean Wally Voss?

10. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake

Jan 1, 2010
    vt
    Subscribed!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yngwie can rip on a bass, no doubt. Can't say I was a big fan of his music but credit where it's due...he can fly and he's solid as well.

12. BassGuyFL

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Yes the one and the same. Did you know him or were just aware of him?

13. Nolifer

Nolifer

Apr 14, 2009
    Estonia
    Just aware of him, sadly.
    One day I was looking for the heritage of my bass that I bought used and found this :
    sdgr.

Afterwards I tried to look some info on him on the Internet and found this video YouTube - ‪Early Wally Voss Bass Guitar Solo Tapping (My hero) Mid 80s‬‏
    Honestly, my reaction was quite possibly something like this: :eek:
    Tis truly a shame to hear about talents such as him cut down way too early :(

14. Not a fan. He seems to be more interested in flash than melody. Anyone can play fast. Very few can play with honesty and feeling.

15. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I'm a big fan, actually. I thought I was the only one on TB for a long time. Say what you want about the guy personally, but he has definitely left his mark musically.
    I understand he has mellowed over time. He was nothing but nice the couple of times that I've met him.

16. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's not been my experience! Not well anyway.

17. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Agreed!

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not everyone can play fast like Yngwie. Credit where it's due...he's super precise and clean. On both guitar and bass.

19. BassGuyFL

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    The girl who posted that video is a friend of mine and a former student of his as well. She's a great bass player too!

Ok here's the story. Wally was well known around South Florida and I was lucky enough to have studied with him on & off.

In 1987 Yngwie was opening up for I believe Maiden and when they played Tampa the bass player quit and went back home I believe it was Marcel Jacob. So the next night they played in Miami and the keyboard player covered all the bass parts. After the show they asked if anyone knew of a good bass player and someone went "Yeah Wally is the guy." So Wally was summoned to the hotel and asked to play. He did and was offered the job on the spot. Left with only his bass and the clothes on his back on the bus. Left his job, his car & his house and his girl. They stitched him up some clothes and played his first show a few days later.

Finished that tour, did the Trilogy tour but didn't play on the recording. You can see him in the video for "You don't remember I'll never forget." After that he played with Tony Macalpine for a brief time before he became ill. He was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease soon after and returned to Florida.

He literally played and recorded in the hospital right up till his death. Hard to believe it's been almost 20 years. I took a few lessons from him after he was sick but it was hard to see him like that after seeing what a vibrant guy he was before. :crying:

The one thing about him is he was such a great guy very humble and no ego at all. Just loved to play bass and devoted his life to it.

As far as I know one of his basses is still at the Hard Rock Cafe in Miami it was an Ibanez 5 string but with a high C. It was there the last time I was there but it's been a while.

One trivia about him is he always played through a Bass Rockman. Great guy taken way too soon.

20. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    I adore the first two albums. After that I just don't care for him.
    Great bass tone on those records.

Damnit there was one of those Yngwie "shreds" vids on Youtube.....now I can't find it! Was funny as hell !