1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yorkie 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris76, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hey guys. Very new to the site and re entering the bass world. Honestly, I haven't played since my father died in 94. I used his rig when he passed which was a peavy 215 cab and a gk800rb head on top. I've noticed that the gk product seems to have fallen off and cabs just are not built the way they used to be. Currently I'm playing through a yorkville 115 combo and I'm just not happy with it outside of the house. I'm trying to find a cab that carries the same punch as my fathers old cab without the bang in the wallet. Any advice and opinions are appreciated.

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    The latest thing is 12" speakers either a pair of single 1x12 cabinets or a 2x12

Likewise if size doesn't bother you a classic 2x15 works well indeed

The classic peavey 2x15 you mentioned is easily found used for 150/200 dollars

And used gk or peavey heads with plenty of power go in 200/300 dollar range

So a powerful rig can be had for less than the cost of your average head

3. Welcome to TalkBass Chris. Please fill out your profile as the information is useful in making appropriate responses.

The GK 800RB is a classic and many players still use one. I assume that the amp and cab are long gone after twenty odd years.

If you like what the GK did for you look into getting another.

It’s possible that your combo can take a second cabinet, needs a socket on the back marked “Extension”. If this is so a second cabinet might give the combo a new lease on life.

Chris76 and wave rider like this.
  4. You would be correct on your assumptions. I had a story book stepmother so when he passed she sold all of his gear. That story will be told another time.

My combo is a 200 watter at 8 ohms. It does have the ability to run an extension or two. Minimum load on the amp is 4 ohms at 400 watts. I've hooked up another single 15 cab to the extention and it still lacks the punch I'm seeking. Im not sure if the horn cuts off automatically when I hook up another cab but everything gets real murky on the deeper notes without a punch in the chest. Mids sound good and the highs are lacking. I've never pushed this amp over half power on both setups. Not a big fan of pushing the envelope on gear.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    GK is a great bang for the buck amp. The MB-500 is a good head. Another good priced option is the Carvin BX-500/700. Lots of love for the Fender Rumbles.

For a gigging amp, I would be looking at least 250 watts. For cabs, look at getting 4 10s, 2 12s or 2 15s. That should get you home in any situation.

6. Chris, from personal experience, in life crap happens. Put it behind you and look to the future.

If you feel that you need a new amp then go to every music store in your area and keep trying different systems until you find something that moves you. Everyone has a differing concept of tone so you have to find yours. As you liked GK start there.

Good luck. :)

Chris76 and BasturdBlaster like this.