Yorkville XS800H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Jan 4, 2008.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Any opinions or real world experience with this head? I may be getting one from a cat selling off his studio gear for cheap! Also, any problems racking it correctly? One review says that it didn't line up properly into 3 spaces (SKB).

2. Never racked mine, but it sounded great & I never had any problems with it. If you get it & don't like it let me know .....I may take it off your hands. I kinda miss it.

3. Rezdog

Rezdog Gold Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

I've been running one for the last couple of years and I'm still very happy with it. May I suggest that you remove the Sovtek 12AX7 pre tube and replace it with a JJ Tesla. You will notice the difference. As far as the rack mounting goes I can't get help you but I'm sure somebody will chime in.

Rezdog

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks for the tip. I probably won't need to replace the tube as I never use that function of the amp. Clean SS sound for me as my style is Soul/R&B/Gospel, Funk, Pop & Top40.

5. Rezdog

Rezdog Gold Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings,

SS it is. But should you decide to experiment it's only 15 bucks or so, and it's really easy to do. Sounds great for old school R&B.

Rezdog

6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I never racked mine either, but I liked the amp overall. It had a ton of options and takes lots of tweeking to make it sound right, but it's got tone.

I would recommend using the tube though, the solid state setting sounded pretty thin to me.

Oh - and I found the scoop knob on that thing is pretty usless past 9 o' clock or so.

7. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Played one in a store a while ago and now I wish I would have bought it. :)

8. I have the XS800H and I have it rack mounted in an SKB 4 space rack. It fits just fine, and stays put (I move it around a lot for gigs) as far as the head goes, its very versatile and is built like a tank. It wont quit on you. I pushed it to peak for 3 hours a night for 2 weeks straight and it never even got hot, just warm :) I love it and so do a lot of of others here on TB. Also they have a heck of a warranty :) Just my .02 cents

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Cool. I'm thinking the cat who said he had a problem racking it probably didn't have it aligned correctly.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Looks like I may be getting this today for a bit less than $350! Good deal??

11. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    yep

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    That's a fantastic deal! :eek:

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Great deal! You'll love it.

14. Is that for new?? haha if so you stole it! Even if its used thats a great deal man. I got mine new for $600 when MF was at $750, so I was pretty pumped. Amazing amp for that price, a lot of watts and tone for the money :) Hope you get it and enjoy it!

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No it's not new but the cat keeps all his stuff in mint condition and he's basically a guitarist who 'sometimes' plays bass so it didn't get used much.

16. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Acct Serv. Man.: Long & McQuade; MTD Kingston Basses Intl Emerging Artist; Bartolini Emerging Artist

Did you get it? That's an AWESOME deal if it's in as good a condition as you say.

17. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I rented one for a show last year to use with my Schroeder 1212.
    The amp had heaps of headroom and was pretty lightweight. The build quality was close to top notch too.

Tone?
    Not a fan. It was a little bit noisy/hissy and sounded a little bit sterile to my ears. The tube overdrive was useless to me, it didn't sound "tubey" at all. I was actually thinking about trading my Peavey MAX 700 for this head, but after spending enough time with the York I made the decision to keep my heavy Peavey.

If you're getting it for a good price then its definitely worth it.

Just my 2 cents

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yep, just picked it up! Wanna see it? Here it goes...............Not quite as mint as I thought it would be but he took good care of it. Dudes got a lot of equipment. He's a well paid Dentist and plays guitar for one of the areas better bands, Slapwater!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    congratulations!!! let us know what you think of it. give a review!

20. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    My Yorkie XS800 is my back-up head thats just too good to replace-I do agree that it sounds a little better with the JJ-Tesla tube, however...its rock solid,fan is quiet as a mouse,800 [email protected] ohms loud(it will also go down to 2 ohms @ 600watts), it has lots of tonal options and goes great with Schroeder cabinets...I liked it better than my Eden WT 800B...Peace...DAcat