1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yorkville XS800H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Jan 4, 2008.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Any opinions or real world experience with this head? I may be getting one from a cat selling off his studio gear for cheap! Also, any problems racking it correctly? One review says that it didn't line up properly into 3 spaces (SKB).

2. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Pensacola, Florida
    Never racked mine, but it sounded great & I never had any problems with it. If you get it & don't like it let me know .....I may take it off your hands. I kinda miss it.

3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

I've been running one for the last couple of years and I'm still very happy with it. May I suggest that you remove the Sovtek 12AX7 pre tube and replace it with a JJ Tesla. You will notice the difference. As far as the rack mounting goes I can't get help you but I'm sure somebody will chime in.

Rezdog

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks for the tip. I probably won't need to replace the tube as I never use that function of the amp. Clean SS sound for me as my style is Soul/R&B/Gospel, Funk, Pop & Top40.

5. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings,

SS it is. But should you decide to experiment it's only 15 bucks or so, and it's really easy to do. Sounds great for old school R&B.

Rezdog

6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I never racked mine either, but I liked the amp overall. It had a ton of options and takes lots of tweeking to make it sound right, but it's got tone.

I would recommend using the tube though, the solid state setting sounded pretty thin to me.

Oh - and I found the scoop knob on that thing is pretty usless past 9 o' clock or so.

7. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Played one in a store a while ago and now I wish I would have bought it. :)

8. I have the XS800H and I have it rack mounted in an SKB 4 space rack. It fits just fine, and stays put (I move it around a lot for gigs) as far as the head goes, its very versatile and is built like a tank. It wont quit on you. I pushed it to peak for 3 hours a night for 2 weeks straight and it never even got hot, just warm :) I love it and so do a lot of of others here on TB. Also they have a heck of a warranty :) Just my .02 cents

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Cool. I'm thinking the cat who said he had a problem racking it probably didn't have it aligned correctly.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Looks like I may be getting this today for a bit less than $350! Good deal??

11. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    yep

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    That's a fantastic deal! :eek:

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Great deal! You'll love it.

14. Is that for new?? haha if so you stole it! Even if its used thats a great deal man. I got mine new for $600 when MF was at $750, so I was pretty pumped. Amazing amp for that price, a lot of watts and tone for the money :) Hope you get it and enjoy it!

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No it's not new but the cat keeps all his stuff in mint condition and he's basically a guitarist who 'sometimes' plays bass so it didn't get used much.

16. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Acct Serv. Man.: Long & McQuade; MTD Kingston Basses Intl Emerging Artist; Bartolini Emerging Artist

Did you get it? That's an AWESOME deal if it's in as good a condition as you say.

17. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I rented one for a show last year to use with my Schroeder 1212.
    The amp had heaps of headroom and was pretty lightweight. The build quality was close to top notch too.

Tone?
    Not a fan. It was a little bit noisy/hissy and sounded a little bit sterile to my ears. The tube overdrive was useless to me, it didn't sound "tubey" at all. I was actually thinking about trading my Peavey MAX 700 for this head, but after spending enough time with the York I made the decision to keep my heavy Peavey.

If you're getting it for a good price then its definitely worth it.

Just my 2 cents

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yep, just picked it up! Wanna see it? Here it goes...............Not quite as mint as I thought it would be but he took good care of it. Dudes got a lot of equipment. He's a well paid Dentist and plays guitar for one of the areas better bands, Slapwater!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    congratulations!!! let us know what you think of it. give a review!

20. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    My Yorkie XS800 is my back-up head thats just too good to replace-I do agree that it sounds a little better with the JJ-Tesla tube, however...its rock solid,fan is quiet as a mouse,800 [email protected] ohms loud(it will also go down to 2 ohms @ 600watts), it has lots of tonal options and goes great with Schroeder cabinets...I liked it better than my Eden WT 800B...Peace...DAcat

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021