1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Bass Playing Skills

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PauFerro, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I support the band in the lower 5 frets on electric bass

2. I support the band in lower 12 frets on electric bass

3. I support the band in the lower 12 frets, and solo there too regularly on electric bass

4. I support the band wherever I need to, and solo everywhere on the neck, on electric bass

5. I support the band where ever I need to, solo everywhere on electric bass. I also play upright.

6. I play upright bass only. I stick in the lower register

7. I play upright bass in both registers, and also play electric bass all over the neck.

8. None of the above fit my skill set (carrots)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I am curious about the breadth of skills here on Talkbass. Looking at my own evolution as a bass player, I have constructed a set of skills, with only one choice....it will be interesting to see the distribution of skills we have here....

2. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I'm a hack, pure and simple.....Hopefully, one day, I won't be :thumbsup:

3. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    From the picture, looks like you hack fur balls

I too am a hack, er, not in a band at the moment. Not a fan of soloing. If you wanna wank, play guitar

Roxbororob and Joe Nerve like this.
  4. Interesting thread and I'm curious to see where people fall. I haven't played in quite a while and just now have my first bass in years being shipped to me (thanks TB classifieds), but when I was in my band in the early 2000's, I tried to do too much and would have been better off spending way more time in the bottom 12 just holding it down. Chalk it up to being young and dumb and having a shiny spankin' new Stingray that I was convinced had to be heard at all times, as well as being in a band with a guitarist that tried his hardest to be Stevie Ray Vaughn.

PauFerro likes this.
  5. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    When i was gigging, i was good, trying to support the band and be melodic when appropriate.

Now i'm back to being just a notch above hack, i'm rusty.
    But back to at least practicing after work every night.

YamahaSteve, Oddly and PauFerro like this.
  6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I may not be where I was when I was gigging 6 nights a week, but I'm doing okay. I didn't say I played upright, because I sold my last one a couple of years a go and don't have any plan to get another. I find it too much to store and haul around.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i like "supporting the band" anywhere on the neck that a tune (inspiration?) takes me. but a lot of the tunes my jazz band covers = 12 fretless or below until the bass solo (which are few). i'm probably not as fast as i used to be, but i'm not as slow either! ;)

8. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    I went with 'I support the Band in lower 12 frets', but I'm working on going higher.

catcauphonic likes this.
  9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I support the band wherever I need to, and solo everywhere on the neck, on electric bass.

I'm not really sure how that translates into a certain skill set though.

INTP and Bassist4Eris like this.
  10. Last night was a great performance.
    Thanks for the front row seats. Here is the video I shot.

puker.

11. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

My comment on this (on my old Ibby Roadster) is I have 24 frets and I paid for each and every one of them. Some do get more use than others but there is no reason not to be proficient across the whole fretboard.

12. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    I'm Sawesome. That's when you suck so bad it's awesome.

13. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I play whatever the song requires. Trio is my group of choice, so I play what is needed. I've been told that I play what I feel on every song. People tell me I'm am a very good bassplayer and a performer.
    That's what I do!
    If the bassplayer and the drummer are in the pocket, it doesn't matter what the rest of the band does.
    IMVHO
    Duke

whiteox and Arion like this.
  14. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

I'm playing in an Allman Brothers tribute band. I use all 24 frets fairly regularly. I practice at home with fusion material.
    I know some theory, but not an expert. Most importantly, I enjoy playing the bass! That's what matters most.

15. Eh. I'm a'ight.

Seth Miller likes this.
  16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    (*raises hand*) Yep, that's me, too!

Fat Freddy and Seth Miller like this.
  17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I use all of the frets of my fretless bass. ;)

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I do whatteva I gotta do whereva I gotta do it.

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I can manage to screw up the whole neck!

20. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I don't think playing on frets above the twelfth fret should imply that one is a better musician, but you gotta admit there is an entire other instrument available there.

Roxbororob and CaseyJ like this.