your first paid gig...how much?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by beyondhairy, May 18, 2007.

1. so, how much did you guys get paid for your first paid gig?

i do believe im getting paid for my next gig, we are playing at a club thats $20 a person to enter and we get paid depending on how many people get in, im not a club goer, so i dont know if people will actually pay $20 to get in lol.

anyway... thats my first paid gig and i'll update how much i get paid then. so how about you guys? how much money went into ur wallet after the first paid gig?

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I think I ended up owing about $20 after the bar tab.

3. hahaha, u didnt even get free booze?

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Not on my first paying gig. It was almost like The Blues Brothers...the first one was on the house, so we thought we could drink for free!:rollno: We were a bunch of boneheads, but what could you expect from a band called Kaution??:rolleyes:

5. your first should should have been the keg under the tap lol

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    My first "professional" gig paid $120 for 3 days of roughly 3-4hrs. I played maybe an hour total-cept it was spread out throughout the night. It was an arts show case. If you go to collage.moonfruit.com that should be the site. I was part of Mansion After Hours. I plan on framing my pay envelope.

7. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I got $150 for my first paying gig - playing one 75 minute set.

8. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    You young whippersnappers;

I got $6 for my first 'paying' gig.......in 1966

Mike

9. wow, thats like what $200 of todays dollars? lol

jk, jk :p

10. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I think it was $25. and the gig was a "businessmen's lunch" and there were strippers involved, this was back in '61 and I had to stay down in the orchestra pit during the breaks because I was way underage. Never told my Mom about that one, LoL.

George

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    Heh, like $100 a gig when I started doing freelance bagpipe performances, that would go anywhere from 45 mins to 2 1/2 hours of work (including travel). Now I won't go out the door for less than $200.

On bass though . . . most I've made personally so far is $200 for one gig. My band does tend to make around $150-400 per gig, when we play at good venues.

12. my band's first show we took an offering and raised about $1200 cdn i believe (total, not each!). we were very happy with that. However basically everybody in the audience knew at least one band member so it was basically a family/friend affair.

13. oh... we're a 5 person band, so assuming we woulda 'paid out the spoils' that woulda worked out to almost $250 a pop. i wont expect this much every time thats for sure, not for a little Christian band :)

14. HomeBrewTJ

HomeBrewTJ

May 16, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    My first pay was $10 back in 1991.

15. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    IIRC, it was in 1960 . . . $25 . . . quite a bit at the time . . .

16. there seems to be a lot of people with their first paid gig in the 60s, i have a question, what kinda music were u guys playing then, what kind of music was big then, how easy was it to get a gig in the kind of music that wasnt too mainstream?

17. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    First legitimate paying gig I made $50 playing some songs from "Godspell" in a church = about an hour.

First pro gig made $160 for a 3 hr high school dance in '72. Union gig. Played two single nighters just about every weekend in Washington with the Unicam agency. Anyone else on that circut?

18. chrispy212

chrispy212

Dec 31, 2006
    Our band got £100 for our first gig, which we stuck in an 'equipment fund' which got us a new mic and a little towards a PA.

19. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    First paying gig was late 60s or early 70s, can't remember exactly (or much of anything else from that period). Was in a trio, played all original music written by the guitar player. Me and the drummer thought he was a moron and his music sucked, but at least we were playing (the drummer and I went on to form another band years later). We got paid fifty bucks each to play at a wedding reception. Free booze was supposed to be part of the deal, but they cut us off pretty quickly...

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    In my last band, I think we got $6 for opening for a Neil Diamond tribute act. This band, we got $600 for our first gig.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021