your first paid gig...how much?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by beyondhairy, May 18, 2007.

1. -87 (I think?) 100Fim -50 for the van split 5 ways for playing heavy metal and hard rock in a lower secondary school disco. Our music (Motörhead, Metallica, Judas Priest etc.) didn't quite match their taste :D.
    But We were 13-15 years old and rockstars, so we didn't mind...

That's about 2$ / head

Man this thread brought up some good memories. Thanks beyondhairy. :)

Sam

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    ~'74 or so I think. We made 50 bucks each, for an hour set for some old folks' group at the local state college, in a big auditorium. They sent a van over for us and our gear and drove us to the gig and back too. I doubt anyone could hear my upright at all, which was probably a bonus!:cool:

3. I got paid $25 for a one hour jazz gig. The school that I go to was having an award banquet, and they wanted a jazz combo to play background music while the people were showing up.

4. timmerz

timmerz

Jan 2, 2005
    Manteca, Ca.
    I'll tell you what I can remember of it....it was in 1972, outdoors at the Hayward Plunge in Hayward, Ca...huge outdoor stage in the parking lot, there were 5 bands (I think), and we were the third band playing, I don't remember who was after us, but they had a good local rep, and headlining the show was Yesterday & Today (later known as Y&T)....my band was called "Past Due" and we had a pretty solid local rep also...I remember I was playing a Sunn Coliseum into two Cerwin Vega monsters with 18" folded horn cabs and 2x10 on the top-front of each one, and we were doing ZZ Top, Deep Purple, Lynard Skynard and a whole bunch more rock covers of the time. I was playing a stock Fender Jazz bass.
    We each got $100 (solid $100 bills) and a year or so later I heard from one of the other guys I knew from one of the other bands that it had been a Bill Graham production....who knew?

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I think it was about $70

6. whos bill graham? name sort of rings a bell

the major only gets $70?! the bastards!

7. hoppusandriano

hoppusandriano

Jan 1, 2007
    Do tips count? I got 124 bucks in tips at a local coffee shop and im only 15 : )

8. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    $50.00.
    House party. 1980.

9. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    ""You young whippersnappers;

I got $6 for my first 'paying' gig.......in 1966""

PS. I was 16 at the time and our bassist was about 14. His name escapes me; oh yeah! Will Lee.......

Mike ;)

10. $2, a pen and a rock. This was for the entire band. Split 4 ways, that left me - the bass player - with a rock.

We played a house party and worked off tips.

11. My first paying gig was at my town's annual festival - an hour set that paid $350 - not too shabby. It was spent on a cheap PA for the group and, dishonestly, a few items for our guitarist without us knowing :scowl:.

12. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    1963, I was 12 years old and played a ladies Garden Party in my hometown with a sax/bass/drums trio. We got $25 per man for a 2 hour gig and I gave it all to my parents ... :cool:

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Tenn. & NJ
    $25, and a roast beef sub. :meh:

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Must have been 1989 or 1990 (The end of the Good Old Days) we had a 5 piece band and got $500.00 a night and free drinks right out of the chute.

15. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

on a inflation calculator it would be about $96 in todays dolars.

Best od Luck,
    Wesley R.

16. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I hope you've since learned that you should handle pay. That way, you'd have at least scored the pen.:ninja:

17. 25 bucks.

18. timmerz

timmerz

Jan 2, 2005
    Manteca, Ca.
  19. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Free beer.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    $400 for four nights of performance. High school musical pit orchestra.