1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your frequency settings please..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by project_c, May 16, 2011.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Please let me know your favourite EQ settings on your amp for your preferred fingerstyle tone by filling out the following:

Low Frequency:
    Cut / Boost:

Low-mid Frequency:
    Cut / Boost:

High-mid Frequency:
    Cut / Boost:

Treble Frequency:
    Cut / Boost:

(for example:
    Low-mid Frequency: 200hz
    Cut / Boost: +10db)

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance!

2. '76 Ampeg SVT
    bass boost off, mid shift 800, high boost off

Channel 1 normal channel bass and treble at noon, mid at 2:00 (+4). Bridge to Channel 2 normal channel, low and high boost off, treble and bass at noon.

3. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    11 across the board

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    In what context? From every player through every rig in every room it can vary widely.

What are you hoping to gain from the answers? Perhaps you can be more specific as to knowing what other's EQ settings will help you with.

5. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Threeve.

6. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I'm recording direct and trying to emulate the frequency responses of commonly used amps. In order to do this, it would be really useful for me to know what exact frequencies your amps use, and where bassists prefer to cut/boost to achieve their favourite tone. I'm interested in tone shaping more than small adjustments you make to suit the acoustics of a room or venue. Hope this answers your question.

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Who do you want to emulate, specifically?

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You might want to narrow your question down to a few select amps/cabs then.

Still going to be wildly varying.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Also if this is more of a mastering/mixing question, specific amp settings aren't really going to matter much, if at all, considering most modern recording techniques are just dry in and then re-amped through all sorts of stuff.

10. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    nobody specifically - I'd just like to try a few different eq settings with my p bass and was curious what frequencies other bassists like to emphasise to achieve their preferred tone.

11. P-Bass? Don't Bogart the mids.

12. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    fair enough - in simple terms, I'm interested in what frequencies your amp's eq controls are set to, and where you like to cut or boost these to achieve your tone. I know the results will vary a lot, and I'm not looking for a single answer - I am simply trying to gather some info so I can make more informed decisions when it comes to tone shaping.

13. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    On my GK 700RB-II I generally use the following for my FL P-bass:

Low: 12:30
    Low mid: 1:30
    High mid: 2:00
    High: 12:00

Contour: 0

Tweeter volume: 15-20% (which is why my high setting is no more than 12:00).

Sorry, I don't know off the top of my head what the frequency settings are. It's my understanding that these settings are self-interactive; that is, adjusting on setting has an effect on how the setting on an adjacent knob is adjusted. Or something like that. I'm a bassist, not an electrician! I know what sounds good, which is enough for me.

14. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    It doesn't make sense, sorry...

EQ'ing depends on the room. You start from everything flat and work things up or down until what you hear matches what's already in your inner ear. Today you may need a 3db boost at 125hz, while tomorrow it could be a 6db cut in that very same frequency.

Oh, and every time you read a magazine that provides "pro settings", they are lying. ;)

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You'd probably be better off using some modeling/emulation software or pedal that has different amps/cabs modeled and EQ from there.

Everyone is going to be EQing based on the bass/strings/amp/cab they use and the room it is in. Which would then be meaningless to you in a studio because no matter what you do it won't sound the same. What are you going to do with these answers? Try them through your equipment? Why, when it won't sound the same anyway?

Why not just use what you have and EQ it to what you want? I could tell you what I use on my amp through my cab, in whatever room it is in at the moment...and I might as well be telling you what my favorite restaurant is, for all the good it will do you.

16. Buddah999

Buddah999

Oct 29, 2007
    Miami, Fl
    If your trying to get a good bass sound recorded, then this should be in the recording section, not necessarily in the amp section.

However, to aid you in achieving a killer bass sound on a recording, I generally record my bass with a DI and an amp track (miced cab through my head) with a little dirt in it or take the DI track and duplicate it and use a emulator (the ampeg by amplitube works awesome) and flip the polarity on the duped track. For EQ, depending on the kick I will Highpass anywhere from 30hz to 80hz (depending on which one I want to have the bottom... kick or bass) I'll leave the DI track pretty much flat with some cutting around the bottom of the guitars between 200 to 300hz and the amp track I'll highpass up to 250hz or so (also depending on what sounds good) and give a bit of a boost in 2k to 3k to inhance the minor distortion.

Once all of that is done, I'll sub mix them into a third track, blend to taste then do my compression and eqing to the blended track. I couldn't tell you what I do to EQ the blended track, cause that's all up to taste and what fits in the track at the moment.

Now this is what I do for Rock/Metal bass but Jazz or Gospel would be totally different.

Hope this rambling helps you... >.<

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    There's no EQ in my set up so I guess it's all on full?

18. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    So you're telling me you don't use your amp's eq to dial in a good fingerstyle tone, or slap tone, or whatever to suit the way you play? You use your amp's settings simply to adjust to the room you're playing in?

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yes, that's true in my case.

Here is the measured response of the rack preamp I use at home:

[​IMG]

It has no tone controls. I use a different preamp on gigs and only adjust EQ as the room requires.
    Edit: should mention, all my basses have active tone circuits and I'm definitely not adverse to pointing those knobs in any possible direction. ;)

20. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Mesa D-180. Mids at 10, treble and bass at 2 (fender tone stack, so this is pretty much flat). Graphic EQ on when playing metal, in a sort of frowny face to emulate an active mid control.