1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your Look On Stage

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I think everyone should have one.I guess it depends on he type of band your in.

For me in a Pop Rock Band, I have been working on a 60's kind of look but contemporary at the same time.

I purchased this new Eastwood to enhance the look I am going after.

2. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I wear black - works for any gig!

3. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI

You can't go wrong with black

4. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I usually wear Jeans and a T-shirt, but for the last gig I wore a black button up shirt, black slacks, my black sneakers, a red undershirt, a white patent leather belt, and a brown felt fedora. I looked rather dashing if I don't say so myself, I'll try and get some pictures from our photographer next time I talk to her.

5. it all depends on which band I'm playing with. i can play whichever bass I want; it's all about the clothes. either a dark suit or jeans/t-shirt. fitting in with the rest of the band without matching outfits is what i do.

6. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Neutral colors always work.

7. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I'm over 300 pounds. I've narrowed it down to either a moo-moo or a cloak of invisibility!

8. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    [​IMG]

9. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I saw a pro level Surf band this weekend, they all wore black dress pant's White shirt & ties with black vest.They had sort of a Beatles look.

These guys took down the whole house and they looked like pure "Class".

Thing is your band has to be good, looking great and sounding like amatures is not so good.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    This topic is a little complicated, I actually used it as an excuse to post pics of my new Eastwood. However , thing is there are some guys that are great players and just are not into the whole "look" thing. And thats fine , it's personal preference.

Thing is, for me and I have been this way since I started playing in clubs as a teen. I don't want to look like a patron. I want people to see me and know that I am in a band. but thats just me.

11. Whammytap

Whammytap

Oct 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    Ooh! Ooh! I play in a rock band, 60's through now rock, I always wear at least twenty pieces of flair! If I can't fit them all on myself, I dangle 'em from my Kramer's giant reverse hockey-stick headstock. We're talking everything from spiked leather gauntlets to lace-up leather hot pants to bright orange fishnets to sweatbands to blue glitter eyeshadow to whatever the crowd throws at me (Mardi Gras beads, leis, underwear, etc.)!

12. Same as casual wear. I'm ready to rock at a moment's notice :cool:

13. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    Well, I'll say, awesome lookin Eastwood!

14. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please. Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    A lot like the avatar.

Or not.

15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Back in the day, it wasn't uncommon for band attire to follow rather narrow dictates for most social and corporate gigs, and even for some club gigs; if the client didn't tell you what to wear, the leader usually would.

Contemporary music was different, of course, but most of us took social & corporate gigs to pay the bills. Suits & ties, tuxedos, slacks & blazers, and even turtlenecks weren't uncommon, and there was lots of tight polyester clothing worn back then among "pop" bands. :rollno:

Today's social conventions are far less rigid than they were 30 or 40 years ago. But, from what I've seen, today's pop groups seem to be at least as focused on appearances and stagecraft as the music they're playing. :)

Needless to say, I'm not describing the bar scene, which is a horse of an entirely different color.

16. i tend to walk around looking like im about to go on stage anyway.. so dark t shirts and jeans are the norm. for years, i played under a beanie to keep my hair out of my face. my new band says im not allowed. so i switch to bandanas. again, this is how you'd see me everywhere but work.

other than that, im prone to tank tops, cut off shirts or no shirt at all, depending on the venue. i hate obstructions.

17. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    No apologies. I feel pretty much the same. Some one paid to see my band? then they're getting their money's worth. I go to rehearsals in street duds,but dress accordingly for gigs,black for backing work and eyecatching for rock gigs,even got the porkpie for blues! Suggestion? wear that Eastwood way high,go for a Paul Samwell Smith look

18. yea i didnt know i was playing on a catwalk

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    gay.

:D

put a shirt on, dude. nobody wants to see that.

20. I don't know what you look like... but any bassist over 300 lbs can rock a sick fedora or porkpie, vest and big neck jewelry like nobody's business!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.