1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your opinions needed

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by JimiLL, May 6, 2010.

1. So we are ready to start playing gigs. My question to you guys:

Does anyone think its overkill to bring 2 Mains, and 2x18 subs for an FOH sound, in a 100 person venue?? Do all our little combo amps really have to go through the PA?

I understand the stage bleed thing but sheesh, why use a PA when it dictates that your stage volume be so low you can hardly hear each other.... just to stay away from stage bleed.... when we dont need a PA (for instruments) to begin with!!!

2. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    IF you have a sound guy, putting everything thru a PA allows him or her to MIX it evenly out front.

I use a 2 way / 4 cab system all the time for bars an club gigs. If you're not mic'ing the Kick drum then go without subs and just run vocals into 2 mains and run it full range.

Your choice, Its all about how YOU want it to sound.

3. Well, actually it comes down to how the band leader wnats to sound and then I start from there :)

I just cant see using reinforcement for instruments when we cant get the amps loud enough to begin with

4. Its not about how many speakers you have - i'ts about clarity, feedback rejection and the mix.
    For a 100 people you need to be as loud as the loudest component of the band - usually the drummer, balance the sound around that and try to get clear vocals without feedback with the eq then balance the backline.
    Just the way I do it everybody has their own way...
    You didn't say what amp, mixer, backline you are using?

5. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    You tweak your amp for the perfect tone. How many in the audience hear the same sound? About 1/3. The people at whom the amp is pointing get a sound that is way to brite, and louder than what you are getting (which drowns out the singers, and maybe more). The folks who are as off axis as you are get a sound similar to what you are hearing. The folks farther off axis and/or in the back get a lot of mud.

Point the cabinet it at your head (sounds like ****, doesn't it?!). Turn it down and tweak the tone. Now mic it through the PA. Your sound will be much more consistent throughout the audience.