1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Youtube copyright issues for cover videos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by some1, Sep 26, 2013.

1. some1

some1

Apr 27, 2011
    I recently uploaded a couple of bass cover videos on my youtube channel. These are your ordinary cover videos - me playing on top of the original recording. Needless to say, the original tracks that I use are legally purchased through Amazon MP3 store. And I have no intention whatsoever to monetize these videos.

As soon as I uploaded the videos, I got a "matched third party content" notification for both of them. Now the question is, what should I do? Simply acknowledge it, or dispute it based on fair use policies? Some people on this board must have gone through the same issue obviously.Thanks.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Fair use labels on the videos may work.

Bass educator MarlowDK got all his backing track tutorials deleted.

Maybe ask him.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Just acknowledge it. You won't get in trouble, they may put an ad in front of your video.

4. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

I always put (COVER) in my video title and credit the song title and original artist. In my notes, I put in a disclaimer that reads something to the effect of, "The song in this video is not mine and remains property of the copyrighted artist. This video was prepared for personal learning purposes."

I've gotten that message to, but to date, all of my cover videos are still live and active.

5. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    OP, you have made a copy of your "purchased" copy. That's fine for your personal use (the fair part). But now you are distributing the copy of your "purchased" copy through YouTube. That's the No-No part.

6. seescottrock

seescottrock

Apr 13, 2011
    Utica, NY
    If you really wanted to CYA, you could get mechanical licenses for the songs you cover... but honestly Fair Use should cover you, so long as you use proper attribution.

7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

My wife is a pilot and has put up some flying videos on Youtube with cover song sound tracks. She also puts music credits. Example: "Soundtrack by Lenny Krevitz, EMI. All rights reserved" in the copy. Then You tube puts up a link so people can buy that song via Amazon, iTunes, etc. Never had a problem.

8. some1

some1

Apr 27, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys. I already put all the disclaimers in the video description. And I acknowledged the third party content (Should I have not done this? I read somewhere that you can't leave that notification forever without acknowledging or disputing). The whole thing is a mess I must say.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Yeah, but she' not in a cover band playing the tune or a musician playing along with the tune. Maybe that's the difference.