1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Youtube effects demos . . .

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jhan, May 5, 2010.

1. jhan

jhan Guest

Don't you just hate it when a guy doing an effects demo on Youtube spends the first three minutes talking, and then demos the effect by noodling around in the upper registers instead of just playing a simple, everyday bassline to give a basic idea of what the effects actually sounds like in the real world?

Makes me want to reach out and smack someone!!

Just thought I'd say that.

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I agree. I don't talk in demos. But I play what ever I feel like at the time:spit: actually I have a hard time not making demos into art...

3. Another annoying trait of those videos is when they actually start the demo, a lot of them dial in some extreme setting on the pedal, to show what it can do "at it's max". Those setting are rarely useful, but I guess they think it sounds cool when they're wailing the solo to Whole Lotta Love on the upper registers of their BASS!!!

I also hate that there is surprisingly few BASS overdrive/distortion/fuzz clips on youtube or anywhere else for that matter, save for Buzz.com.

4. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Well, I DO talk in my demos. Because to me, a demo of someone just noodling for 5 minutes is damn boring and impossible to follow. So I explain what settings I have it on, what kind of sound it reminds me of, then I play a couple licks. Then I move on to a different setting. Oh well.

5. i don't think there is anything wrong with talking. i agree with with bigchiefbc, its easier to follow with some explanation of whats going on in the video.

what i do hate is the whole upper register thing and the inconsistency of what pople play with setting to setting. JUST PLAY THE SAME BASIC RIFF THE WHOLE TIME!

6. fractiouslowend

fractiouslowend

Aug 5, 2009
    perth
    When demo-ing an effect, before playing any riffs, a few big open notes should be played, especially with fuzz / OD etc
    if i'm trying out a bass (or guitar) in a music shop i spend at least 5 minutes just hitting open strings and fretted notes, letting them ring out, so i can hear what the bass sounds like.
    If it doesn't impress me with single notes, then there is no point even playing a riff on it.

7. jhan

jhan Guest

Exactly what I do. First thing, in fact, is to check intonation on twelfth fret. If that's off, the bass goes back on the wall.

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    This is why when I do clips I always end up playing Doom riffs.

One thing I like is when people really take you on a trip through the sounds, I don't care what settings you use really, you don't need to tell me, just do your stuff, I want to hear all the extremes and the in-be-tween-s of the effect.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Why would I get mad about someone volunteering their time for me and possibly save me a few hundred dollars, just because they don't play or demo exactly how I would?

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Because:D

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, so long as you have a good reason.....:p

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    This be the internets, thar' is no reason:p:p:p

13. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX

So when you're hanging out at GC, you actually never get to demo a pedal, right? ;)

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Last time I tried to there the "dude" got lost three times getting me a cord:meh:

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't talk in demos. I don't play in demos. In fact, I don't even do demos.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, that's good- they'd be pretty boring demos if you didn't talk or play in them.

17. I quit doing them because, when I listened back, I realized I suck and should take some lessons.
    That being said, I am glad I tried because now my plan is to take some lessons.

18. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Really you shouldn't worry about that. Really you don't have to play anything. Just set your bass to feed back and twiddle knobs on the pedal. I would watch that! Might even make me buy the pedal.

19. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Well, Mud, you're gonna hate the two demos I'm uploading tonight.

20. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    1. Dude! you are actually taking anything I am saying seriously... I thought you knew me better then that:D

2.... one minute... ok found it.. freebird. Alright I'm already now!