YYZ

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassman Ski, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Bassman Ski

Bassman Ski

Apr 15, 2010
    OK some of you may say "no profanity ~Mod BASSMAN SKI! YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT???"

Well this is addressed to people who may NOT know these useless little facts that I just learned.

YYZ is the airport designation for Rush's hometown (Like JFK is New York and LAX is Los Angeles) ... OK that I knew since I was a tot back in the 80's

All this time I have been calling the song "Why Why Zee"... DUH! They are Canadian... I didn't know Rush called it "Why Why Zed"

The unmistakable intro that Neil Peart plays to start off the song is the Morse Code identifier for the airport.

Cool!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    Igor Porto likes this.
  2. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I knew all that.

It does not make me smarter than you.

I am better looking though.

Helaskold, Bassman Ski and tmdazed like this.
  3. spz8

spz8

Jan 19, 2009
    Glen Cove, NY
    Hehe, yes, a little late to the party, but that's okay. ;)

Z is "Zee" for we silly Americans, but "Zed" for (most of) the rest of the world.

Bassman Ski likes this.
  4. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I don't Zed and I resent those that expect me to.

5. Bassman Ski

Bassman Ski

Apr 15, 2010
    99.99999% of the world is better looking than me so, you really aren't telling me anything new ;)

But I am better looking than Steve Buscemi in a speedo so, STILL not saying much :D

6. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    another (well known?)YYZed fact...

the sound in the part of the song after the extended drum solo that sounds like a china cymbal and glass breaking is a sample of Neil smashing a folding chair into a pane of glass that was outside of the studio.

It was the last instrumental they wrote before Where's My Thing (Part 2). For the interim albums, Neil could not convince the other 2 to write an instrumental, so for the Roll the Bones album, he "held the lyrics to the other songs hostage" until Alex and Geddy wrote an instrumental

7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
  8. xUptheIronsx

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    8 out of 10. Missed the one about Midsummer Nights Dream, and the one about which celebrity talked about the bottle of "hot sauce" or whatever that was.

They are my number one most favorite musical entity, and the main reason that I pursued music as a career. I am definitely a Rush geek and proud of it. Signals was the first tour I saw them live on, and have seen them on every tour since at least once.

embellisher likes this.
  9. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398201875.886121.jpg

10. It was actually plywood that was broken, not glass. In fact, Neil is credited with playing 'plywood' in the liner notes.

Funny but when I met Alex he referred to it as "Y Y Zee" (not Zed). Maybe he was Americanizing it for me. ;)

11. xUptheIronsx

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    duh...that's right, but I thought that there were also panes of glass involved...

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    You met Alex?! Lucky.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Us Canadians generally use both "Zee" and "Zed" interchangeably. We are sneaky that way.

twocargar likes this.
  14. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Inactive

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    I like Zed Zed Top.

twocargar likes this.
  15. Yes, it was the Vapo(u)r Trails tour. I won front row tickets and meet & greet passes on the radio, and when we were at the head of the line, Alex asked me "Did you win a radio contest or something?" Trying to be a wise-aker, I said, "Yes, I had to name all the Rush songs in alphabetical order." That wasn't true, I had to identify 10 songs in a 5 second clip put together by the radio station.

Anyhew, he said "Wow, impressive! What was the last song?" "Xanadu, because it starts with a Z," I said, trying to be funny. "Oh, I would have thought it would be YYZ..." By that time, we were whisked away and I didn't get a chance to say much to Geddy except for 'hi.' Alex was very nice, and even introduced himself to my wife (who was with me at the meet & greet) while I was being awkward with Geddy.

So, the lesson here is: Be gracious and succinct when you meet your musical heroes, otherwise you'll wind up saying something dumb that you'll regret.

Back to the topic...

16. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Rad. Did you take the quiz I posted? I didn't do so well.

17. 8/10. I missed the number of albums sold and the TV show question. Cool quiz, eh?

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Nice quiz! 10/10

twocargar likes this.
  19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    You guys are good I'm not even going to say how poorly I did.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021