zebrano

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by vbasscustom, Jan 26, 2009.

1. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    ok so im a little confused, zebrano, zebrawood, same thing?:confused: or are they different, they look the same, and both have zebra in them, is that just another way of saying it?

2. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    ebony, ebonol?
    ;)

3. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Zebrano-Zebrawood. Yes, they are one and the same.

4. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Yes they are the same, as for Ebony and Ebonol, they are not the same at all. Meant to look the same, yes.

5. As for I know... we call it Zebrano (in Dutch) and the correct English word for it is Zebrawood.

6. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    cool, i was just wonderin

7. DanielM

DanielM

Jan 6, 2007
    Holland
    jup jup. very pretty stuff but not easy to work and very heavy! mind if you have a Zebrawood body you do get pretty good sustain.

8. For my current build, I'm considering a Zebrawood top (6 mm) on a chambered Mahogany body. You say it isn't easy to work with.. is that because of the grain / open structure, making it hard to get a good finish or are there other unpleasant features I should know about?

9. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    splintering, not like the kind in your fingers, but when you cut it, or route it, it will sometimes take huge chucks out. so just watch for cracks, even hairline ones can cause big issues, ive used the stuff before, and i must say, i do intend to use it again. the end result is beautiful

10. Thanks for the tip.. I'll think about it! It really is a beautiful wood!

11. CH Design

CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I've read on TB that is has an unpleasant odor. I've never worked with it so I don't know how much of a problem it is.

12. bigTbass

bigTbass

Nov 17, 2008
    PA
    I've also heard that it has an unpleasant odor but only when it is wet.

Once finished the problem goes away.

13. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    well, it never had any smell when i used it, or maybe i just didnt notice, but i dont think it did, people like the smell of blood wood, i hate it

14. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Toxic as all get out! Make sure you wear a respirator with this stuff, it is truly noxious. There is one bass out there I made with zebra, and it shall be the only one!

15. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments

You must have had a different species. All of the Zebrano that I work has a bit of a delightful aroma.

16. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    well, it was zebra wood, standard zebra, i asked, no special species. but it didnt smell, itv had a little woody smell, like all does, but thats it

17. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021